Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: your fake emotions

[ QUOTE ]
To get this started:

When I sold suits 8 years ago I had a really interesting manager. His strategy when a customer came in angry about something was to get just a bit madder than the customer. That is, if a customer was miffed that the cuffs were not the right length, then he would be visibly pissed off for the same reason. If a customer was extremely angry, then my boss was Ghengis Khan on the warpath, yelling sternly at employees in front of the agitated customer. He made it a point to ALWAYS be more angry than the customer if they had a real grievance.

But this was totally an act. His anger had absolutely no connection to the degree of the screw-up about which the customer was upset. It was entirely based on the degree of emotion within the customer (which comes as much from the personality characteristics of the customer as on whatever screw-up had occured). After the customer left he would go back to being normal and non-upset immediately, and he told us point blank not to take him seriously, and that he was simply stealing the emotional energy away from the customer with his charade.

My manager's strategy always worked. You simply cannot yell at someone about how angry you are because x happened when that person is in your face yelling twice as loud about how angry HE is that x happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

The previous comment was great about your boss. (edited for clarification)

I own a bunch of rental properties and one place where I sometimes fake emotion is when I am trying to deal with our renters. I usually try to empathize with them and most times the emotion is real. I have lived in some really bad rental situations and do not like them to be in a bad situation. I also am very quick to fix things when I think that they are serious. However, sometimes things that are important to them seem totally unimportant to me. I usually just fake as much empathy as I can and take care of the problem even though in my head I am thinking about how stupid it is.

A good example of this was when I went down to a rental property we own and found while I was they had a ceiling fan that would not start up easily. I sprayed it with silicone spray to lube it and away it went. This seems like common sense to me but they were amazed. I drove an hour each way to get there. But at the end of the day they are paying us $250 a month more than market rent and I figure that for now this is part of the job.

+EV
Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 PM

I find that a lot of people tell "funny" stories or anecdotes that they find hilarious but which I really don't find funny at all. I usually feign laughter and amusement anyway because I don't want them to feel bad.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 PM

While dealing, when a player tries to make a joke that I've heard 10,000 times already that day. Example: "They were suited!"

Outwardly, I smile. In my head I am shoving an icepick through their eyeball.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 AM

I can fake cry with real tears whenever I want to and it's usefull.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While dealing, when a player tries to make a joke that I've heard 10,000 times already that day. Example: "They were suited!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this. Now I have a new way. I introduced myself to a rafting team yesterday. My name is Adam. Immediately some "really funny guy" burst out with, "Where's Eve?" I just looked at him dead in the eye and said deadpan, "Wow dude, that's really funny. I've never heard that one before."

The rest of his mates laughed at him and he shut up for the rest of the trip. Result.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this. Now I have a new way. I introduced myself to a rafting team yesterday. My name is Adam. Immediately some "really funny guy" burst out with, "Where's Eve?" I just looked at him dead in the eye and said deadpan, "Wow dude, that's really funny. I've never heard that one before."

The rest of his mates laughed at him and he shut up for the rest of the trip. Result.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am constantly amazed at the things people say, believing they are funny, when in fact they are not in the least.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 AM

i pretend to be more upset with things in my life than i really am sometimes for attention.

seems kinda silly to admit, but i personally think most people do this to a degree.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i pretend to be more upset with things in my life than i really am sometimes for attention.

seems kinda silly to admit, but i personally think most people do this to a degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYBTuXCREc
Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYBTuXCREc

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, not really. i'm not an angst-ridden teenager.

for example, say i'm stressed about something. i'll act more stressed than i really am around my girlfriend just because i like the sympathy.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:07 PM

tuba: I think that is VERY common. With certain friends, I have gotten used to saying "OK, whatever, man, you're not really that bugged by that." and they generally laugh and say, yeah, haha.

OP: For me it's probably hearing about just about anything from a random person or casual acquaintance. For the most part, I really just don't care, but I also don't want to make people sad so I generally feign some level of interest for a short period of time. However, I have little patience for this, so often just end the conversation pretty abruptly if I don't care.