Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Poker academy and training in general

the highest stakes of play money limit games plays about like 0.02/0.04 you'll get better practice there and you get to chat with people
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really impressed with most of the no limit bots

[/ QUOTE ]

PA's NL bots are well known for being chumps. Limit hold'em is where PA really shines. In fact, Phil Laak has said that PA plays a nut-tight game of HU limit (he MAY not have used that exact phrase...). I've considered dusting off PA just to work on my HU limit game, but I'm having too much fun playing NL cash games on Stars.

[ QUOTE ]
i do play in some of their academy online tournaments. You can log in and play against real people but not for money. Not reloadable play money either though since you have to earn it in their freerolls first.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a great idea. You have to "earn" play money by playing some freeroll SnGs vs live players. Then you take your "winnings" and can play a variaty of hold'em games against real people - NL cash, NL tournament, or limit.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 AM

I just got Poker Academy Prospector and I'd say it's on par with Poker Tracker, except for HUD functionality.

It will also import the Poker Academy hands directly.

Only issue is it doesn't support as many sites as Poker Tracker, but will do a great job and it's fairly cheap.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've considered dusting off PA just to work on my HU limit game

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an fyi. After i posted, i checked and the polaris bot was already available online. There was a handful of hu limit tables (mostly open) at all stakes. Even micro, which is what i tried. I'd never played limit but thought it would be cool so i tried it and took a screen shot. Was kind of funny. It literally bet every time i checked, raised 90% when i just completed from sb, and it called to the river probably 80-90%. Each table might be a different variation, not sure. Assuming it's a 'better' bot than the standard pc bots included. Only played for 45 mins but came out with a small profit. Gotta love variance.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 PM

Something I noticed playing PA bots was that when you first create a prifile, the bots are total fish. But after playing ~100 hands, they "adapt" to your playing habits and become much tougher.

I'd like to see how those bots play after 100 hands of HU.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Play 2c/4c on Stars. You can't loose if you have a preflop-chart handy, and play basic WLLHE. Only toppair or better.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Poker Academy's online community is terrific for the most part - friendly and big enough to always have a SNG or ring game ready to go. I've played there exclusively since the beginning of the year (will make the jump to real money soon).

Most people think that you can't play real poker in a "fake" money situation but PA is the closest you can come. As stated above, you have to earn your first fake dollars in freeroll hell. I've built up 700 PAX (name for their fake money) and I'm quite proud of it.