Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: How the hell do you deal with bad beats?

[ QUOTE ]
I stop playing JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 AM

I used to feel frustrated, but now i just laugh at some rediculous beats i get. Don't let bad beats influence your games.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM

i didnt know that Shannon Elisabeth is a master in poker now....
Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Look through some of your wins. At some point in your past you sucked out majorly, and it allowed you to go on to win a tournament or place significantly for cash.

At the time, you didnt see it as a major suckout. You see it as playing correctly. Theres no way you could know they had a monster there, they played their good hand wierd, you played your correctly and got your due, whatever the case may be. The reality is though, that you got extremely lucky and sucked out on them and it allowed you to go on to a big prize. Print it out and paste it next to your monitor, and when you take a bad beat, remember that it goes both ways.

Our mind tends to overlook our own mistakes, and our own suckouts, becuase we try to play the best we can. Everyone gets dealt cards, everyone has the same x% chance to hit their couple outer. We just dont see our suckouts because we tried to play our hand correctly and it was just bad luck that they had a really strong hand, and we got our due catching our card.... is what we fool ourselves into believing.

Also, the better you are, the more suckouts you will face, as a general principle, since you will more often get it in ahead. If you are not very good, you will tend to get involved where you need to suckout more frequently. So just based on that logic, whenever you get sucked out on, whoever sucked out on you probably isnt a long run winner (which is also easy to say since over 70% of the players out there aren't)

Another thing to keep in mind, is if you only get it in when way ahead, you are leaving money on the table. We should be playing aggressively enough that on occasion we get it in behind, and we will need to have taken our due run of suckouts in order to generate enough reverse karma to allow us to suckout when we really need it.

Or something like that....

Oh, and one more extermely serious note. PLAY WITHIN YOUR BANKROLL. Suckouts really bite if you are playing above your bankroll because you have a harder time getting back on the horse.. If you are playing within your bankroll its really no big deal, the amount you lost isnt significant to your long term ability to generate EV, so who cares.

4Card
Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 AM

I go play the lowest level of cash game PLO...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, the better you are, the more suckouts you will face,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think so?

I find the people who complain about bad beats the most are actually bad players who either;
1. Play super tight, wind up being all in short stacked with a hand that’s never that big a favourite like AQ, and the complain when someone busts them with KJ

2. Don’t play their good hands aggressively enough – letting 4 or 5 people to the flop with AA, AK, etc.

3. Slow play too much after the flop with good but not great hands and then bet big or get it all in on the river only when people have had a chance to catch up.

4. Over-value TPTK and are unwilling to let it go even though everything out there is screaming that they are stuffed.

5. Play too many big pots and not enough little ones. If you are never all in, then you are never going to get busted…

6. Call too much rather than raising. If you call AQ against KJ you are only 60-40 favourite, and you have a 40 percent chance of busting. If you are the one raising more, you can win safely if they fold, only get into marginal situations occasionally. You should be applying the gap concept when calling.

7. Don’t play well enough on the hands that they don’t bust out on. If you are one of the best players at the table, you will spend a lot of your tournaments with a bigger than average stack, if you do this and try and avoid those who have more than you without a pretty big edge, then you will bust out by bad beats less. Most of the time I’ve FT’ed tournaments I’ve at least 2 or 3 bad beats, but since I was up against the shorties then I can just shrug them off.

I’m not saying this is you, because sometimes there is nothing you can do. But take the guys advice above and look back over all the hands you bust out on and try and see if there was more you could do. What’s more, try and review your whole tournament and see if you are making a lot of mistakes that get you short stacked in the first place.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, the better you are, the more suckouts you will face,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this is right!

The question is "What is considered a bad beat?". If someone complains about losing AK after having limped and was called by five players he is a donk.

If instead it happens to you (like me yesterday) that you bet/reraise-all-in your flopped bottom set against Villain having top-pair, weak kicker and he sucks out on you as the board triples it´s middle card (not Villains cards) by turn and river - you should admit that Hero made no mistake here.

It doesn´t really help if someone complains about a bad streak, seriously looking for advice how to handle this and everytime somebody comes out of the hedges and tells him that probably he is a bad player. Please avoid these general suspicions ... otherwise I had to assume that you are not playing long enough to have experienced the situation which OP describes here. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 AM

OK, I’m sorry if I came across as negative. I was trying to be constructive and offer advice on how to avoid bad beats, not just learn to live with them.

What I’m trying to get out is that a run of bad beats can be easily caused by bad play by a good player, and I was trying to identify some of the common traits and bad habits that are easy to fall into fall into.

I really do think that while good players might have bad beats happen to them more often, they are also less likely to get busted out by bad beats than a bad player (or a good player playing badly) and hence find them easier to deal with.

Re-assuring people that good players get bad beats more often just discourages people from examining their play in depth and trying to see if there are any underlying causes apart from just mean old varience.

I think it is important to look at your game as a whole, not just the hands you get busted on.

On a general note accusing anyone who might disagree with you of not playing for long enough to understand and using terms like “coming out of the hedges” to describe what was meant as a sincere and constructive post is not likely to endear yourself to anybody. (Also, adding a smiley doesn’t make it ok to say rude stuff [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img])
Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM

After I give one i celebrate, after I take one I shrug.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note. Scientific research has shown that catharsis (i.e. venting anger by punching, hitting, yelling, etc.) does not reduce anger or stress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bu11sh!t?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] By that i mean from Penn and Teller BS?