Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Re: NL 5 - Firing on all street = spew at uNL?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought any SC on the BTN is good for a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
54s is the worst SC you should play, IMO.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 AM

I agree with the general rule that bluffing at micros is not needed, but i need to learn when to spot good oppurtunties to try it so i am working on it while i am coming to at end a NL 5 so i dont end up spewing at the higher limits.

Only be playing on party for a day, standard seems fairly awful - and i seem to be adding to that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 10:26 AM

"I thought any SC on the BTN is good for a raise? "

Depends on your overall style and the proclivities of the player you do this against.

Anyways, yes you can do this, but only if you are able to fold against resistance or be done with the hand after your c-b. For everything else you would need a good read.

Also, it is OK to play tight at the lower levels until you are sure of how to play them. Your winrate should be fine once you know how to play AKo OOP, etc, etc. Then, you may want to expand bit for bit.

FWIW, I play 32s from BTN against one raiser, but only if I know what my chances are to fold out the blinds (mmmh, dead money) and to either fold out the limper or shush him off with a c-bet. If all stars align I might raise here with top 80%. Sometimes, I wouldnt even do it with QJs.

As you see, every preflop strategy becomes more and more situational if you expand your average range. If you play a nittier style it is less situational.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the general rule that bluffing at micros is not needed, but i need to learn when to spot good oppurtunties to try it so i am working on it while i am coming to at end a NL 5 so i dont end up spewing at the higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's pretend you're double-jointed in your knees, and have the ability to kick yourself in the nuts. Would you do it just to see what it felt like? No. Work on value betting, pot control, etc, at these levels. Worry about bluffing when you get to a level where running a bluff like this might actually work.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 AM

To tell ya the truth I don't really like any street that much. In general I don't like pulling out my "plays" until I have had an orbit or two to see which ones are appropriate. Your preflop raise isn't standard with these stack sizes. Your raise is so that you can steal the pot from him if he is likely to fold. However, you don't really know him so you don't know if this is a good idea. You could say that it is a semi-bluff raise preflop but I still don't like that without a read.

The flop is not a great flop to make people fold on. It is fairly connected and drawy. There are lots of hands that might call this flop.I like just giving up at this point and checking. If you bet here you are in big pot land and then you aren't really going to want to fold.

On the turn the only thing you might get to fold are naked A's and K's and maybe middle or bottom pair. You might as well bet at this point hoping you can get him to fold(since the pot is large), but why bet that amount? That amount leaves him with about 1/3 of a pot on the river(he has 0.96 left in a pot of 2.78). If you are going to bet that amount you might as well push. I would suggest betting less so that you actually have enough left to bluff the river. If you were to bet 0.50 then he would have 1.26 left with a 2.18 pot(another way to solve this problem would have been to bet less on the flop so you can bet 3 streets or to bet more on the flop so the turn is a more natural push). This is at least a credible river bet that he MIGHT not call. He is likely to call your river bet getting 4:1.

You can see that the intial preflop raise against an unknown with the stack size put you in all sorts of fun spots! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, you don't just raise SC's for deception. That can be part of the reason but there are other reasons also.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 AM

Villan is over 200bb's deep in this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

theads - you been smoking the [censored]? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Where are you getting 4/1 on the river call?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are serious about trying to improve then fold this [censored] preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

[sarcasm]Yes, don't play on the button against a probably bad player with a modest holding. [/sarcasm]
Old 08-01-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, it is OK to play tight at the lower levels until you are sure of how to play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering why everyone says to play tight at the low levels, is it just because its easier to play with better starting hands? I'm just thinking because I feel I get huge pots with my implied odds hands since people don't want to fold TP and also because most villains at NL5 bet so little that I can chase draws even with the direct pot odds - and they do call at least a pot sized bet when I hit.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Only be playing on party for a day, standard seems fairly awful - and i seem to be adding to that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Don't worry. I think you will do fine. Have you been playing at the beginners tables? If not do so, the play there was incredible soft. You can only play there for 30-days. They should also have good freerolls for the newbies, unfortunately I couldn't play any due to time constraints.

If you want we could probably swap fish lists.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Don't worry. I think you will do fine. Have you been playing at the beginners tables? If not do so, the play there was incredible soft. You can only play there for 30-days. They should also have good freerolls for the newbies, unfortunately I couldn't play any due to time constraints.

If you want we could probably swap fish lists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played at one of the beginners tables, it was unreal. There was one chap there(Ugly_I3OI3) who over just 53 hands ran at 94/56 but managed to win $28. It was pretty comical.

Is there a buddy list on party?