Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Deep in 22R, AQ in the BB vs. huge SB stack

FWIW, I thought about overbetting it preflop, raising to around 35k. The goal here is making decisions easy. If he reshoves preflop, I'm getting 21:8, or better than 2.5:1 so I can pretty safely call. If we reach the flop and he checks, I can again pretty safely throw the rest of my money in there based on odds and it limites or denies him the leading bluff or check raise as weapons.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:57 AM

You have a very good hand against a big stack. You actually WANT to play a hand with him so you can double up or at least extract some more chips. Call his PFR and raise any c-bet. If you hit the flop big, you can just call the c-bet.

I can also see a re-raise PF but I think that this doesn't extract the most value out of your hand against a big stack and being in position.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 AM

I like a call. I also like a minraise because this pisses people off and sometimes induces a shove from a worse hand but, in particular, creates exactly the right impetus and pot-size to play this hand in position most profitably.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that you miss out on a lot of value not 3-betting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is villain calling or shoving us PF that we are ahead of? I think it's much more +EV to let villain c-bet on the flop with his KQ, QJ, A-rag than let him fold cheaply PF.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM

I call PF and float the flop and take it away from him on the turn.

Have to abuse your positional advantage.

I think min-raising PF like registrar said is kinda interesting too.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Nearly 5000 posts and I think this is the first time I've suggested it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a call. I also like a minraise because this pisses people off and sometimes induces a shove from a worse hand but, in particular, creates exactly the right impetus and pot-size to play this hand in position most profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm intrigued by this one. He's getting odds to call of course, but it keeps the pot to a nice size. Say I min-bet and he calls. That puts about 35k in the pot.

Flop comes dry (I miss). Two scenarios:
1) He checks. I c-bet 18k. I think I can fold to a shove check/raise with ~80k left?
2) The harder case for me. He leads for 15-20k. I have 100k behind, pot has 50k or so in it after his bet? Shove is bad if he paired, fold is bad if he didn't. I can't see how to raise for info though without being pot committed.

My concern here isn't how to play if I hit, that's easy. It's how to have a chance to take down the flop, but avoid dumping the remaining 80% of my chips with A-high on a missed flop.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that you miss out on a lot of value not 3-betting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is villain calling or shoving us PF that we are ahead of? I think it's much more +EV to let villain c-bet on the flop with his KQ, QJ, A-rag than let him fold cheaply PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of hands at 25K just as with a miniraise, because his stack is very big and he's going to have a hard time getting away at about 2:1. Plus, at a 50K pot, he's going to have a bitch of a time trying to figure out what to do with you in position. Other times, if you hit an A or a Q, he's may push and you win a big [censored] pot.

The miniraise is an interesting idea, 32K pot and give you the option of getting your stack in with a check raise or making a cont. bet that appears more like a bluff. I think it's a nice idea. Conversely, I think that 25K raise gives you a little more FE + flop value + shows you aren't to be [censored] with off the BB, which is important. Miniraise is sexy though, nice idea and I'm kinduv torn between the two.

I think flat calling here with AcQc is OK at best; honestly, I just don't see how the merits work out, and you are going to find yourself heavily re-evaluating plans on the flop and turn on several dry boards / J/10 high boards / and even K high boards (while if you RR preflop, you have a bigger advantage on some K high boards, I feel).

Barry
Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) The harder case for me. He leads for 15-20k. I have 100k behind, pot has 50k or so in it after his bet? Shove is bad if he paired, fold is bad if he didn't. I can't see how to raise for info though without being pot committed.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you play AA on that texture of flop?

In general, it's a question of hand-reading and flop texture. I'd want to call. It's the same as the call pf, float flop line, except the pot is bigger and you'll be repping an overpair rather than middle pair/TPWK when you make your move on the turn.

There will obviously be occasions when the flop is so grim that you just have to let it go, like when he pots a monotone flop.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you play AA on that texture of flop?

In general, it's a question of hand-reading and flop texture. I'd want to call. It's the same as the call pf, float flop line, except the pot is bigger and you'll be repping an overpair rather than middle pair/TPWK when you make your move on the turn.

There will obviously be occasions when the flop is so grim that you just have to let it go, like when he pots a monotone flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd have raised AA preflop because I'm not as worried about being pot commited [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Sounds though like you're advocating getting it all in on the turn (if the board isn't horrid) on a semi-bluff of sorts by calling a flop lead?