Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery

[ QUOTE ]
i did it in 04 and its awesome and i totally recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am only ~150 degrees on both eyes, meaning I don't wear glasses unless I am sitting in Lecture or driving unfamiliar places.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe they will perform procedure unless your vision is poor enough. At least that's how it was when I had procedure done in '03.

I had both eyes done (was in the office literally only 25 minutes for the procedure, waited in longer fast food restaurants). 20/15 right after, settled on probably 20/25 or so.

As someone who wore gas permeable hard contacts since 14 yrs old, this is great. Night vision isn't great and my eyes can get dry but I'll take it.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:02 PM

How do they figure out if your eye sight is reasonably stable or not? Do they ask for records from your optometrist or do they have a device to find out?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 AM

thanks all, does anyone know what state the procedure is cheapest in? i just found out you can get it corrected past 20/20, so im gonna ask for as highly corrected as i can get. i will be able to see thru clothes and into peoples souls. thanks, im definitely going to do it.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:49 AM

how much does this usually cost?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks all, does anyone know what state the procedure is cheapest in? i just found out you can get it corrected past 20/20, so im gonna ask for as highly corrected as i can get. i will be able to see thru clothes and into peoples souls. thanks, im definitely going to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check out my TR in this thread. It is definitely tl;dr but there are cliffs notes at the end. Basically, I had problems with the procedure and had to go to another doc to get it straightened out. It was a huge pain in the ass so my recommendation is search for the best doctor you can find.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that your eyesight has to be roughly stable for a certain period of time before they'd consider you a good candidate

[/ QUOTE ]

3 years is usually the period of time they want. My eyes stopped changing at 18 and I had PRK done at 21. Best decision I ever made. Went from 20/350ish to 20/15 in both eyes. I occasionally see slight halos around very bright lights at night, but it doesn't bother me at all.

I was out of commission for 4 days(no driving, no real moving around) and my eyes were in pain the first couple days, but it was well worth it.

FYI, if you have the choice of PRK or Lasik, I'd get PRK. PRK is the older surgery and has been around for longer, and you get the same quality results. Only difference is that they create a flap in LASIK which, although is difficult to dislodge, CAN happen. With PRK, they are operating right on the eye and there is no flap created. Recovery time is a bit longer, 5-7 days with PRK compared to 1-2 for LASIK, but it's worth it imo. I've heard way more LASIK horror stories than PRK.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Ill be getting one of the 2 in a few years more than likely. Probably wait a bit longer for them to really perfect the surgeries...would hate to have something go wrong.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that your eyesight has to be roughly stable for a certain period of time before they'd consider you a good candidate

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite how I understood--my doctor never really talked about that. They just explained that surgery corrects your vision as it is that day. If you wear contacts (which I did), you needed to be out of the contact lens' for a period (only a week or so for soft, 6 weeks for hard) to allow your eyes to return to the natural shape. Contacts would shape the cornea and you needed to give that time to flatten out. My eyes really worsened in that 6-8 week span. My glasses sucked by the end.

[ QUOTE ]
I was out of commission for 4 days(no driving, no real moving around) and my eyes were in pain the first couple days, but it was well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience w/ Lasix was great. It stung right after, I went home a took a 2-3 hour nap. Woke up and felt great, watched TV that night and went to work next day.

[ QUOTE ]
FYI, if you have the choice of PRK or Lasik, I'd get PRK. PRK is the older surgery and has been around for longer, and you get the same quality results. Only difference is that they create a flap in LASIK which, although is difficult to dislodge, CAN happen. With PRK, they are operating right on the eye and there is no flap created. Recovery time is a bit longer, 5-7 days with PRK compared to 1-2 for LASIK, but it's worth it imo. I've heard way more LASIK horror stories than PRK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd disagree with this. PRK is much older technology (can you even find a doctor to do this?) which involves making tiny cuts in the eye, which as described to me could leave the eye weak. With Lasik the cornea is sliced and flipped over. The cornea then begins healing immediately after the surgery and if you have a decent corneal(sp?) thickness, should heal like new and you may even be able to have another procedure if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those looking for cheap surgery THESE ARE YOUR EYES! Talk to people (multiple if possible) and find a doctor/clinic they had a good experience. And then do some more research.

FYI, I paid about $3000 total (both eyes) 3-4 years ago.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 PM

droopy,

By stable he means you vision isn't changing. Its just bad. Not getting worse.