Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: 3 flop decisions

Folding the flop in the first hand is way too weak. He's probably betting ATC here, and is correct to do so against a TAG who is gonna be check/folding once he checks this flop the majority of the time.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:04 AM

Well, as I said, hand 1 is about leading the flop or giving up by c/f (as I obviously do here)
Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 AM

More specific reads?

Hand #1:
This villain seems Laggy. If u think he will bluff all the way I would just call down. This is a small pot and we don't mind if he stays in with only 6 outs if he pays a fee on each street.

If u think he frequently would check the turn I CR flop/bet turn. If faced with further aggression I play showdown.

If villain is more passive I lead the flop.

Hand#2: I make c-bet. This board is not connected, so chances are everyone missed. U may buy position.

Hand#3: Fold every time.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Pot is small, 2nd pair is vulnerable, and pot is small.
2. Standard c-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, interesting. But u would have prefered to lead I guess?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Pot is small, 2nd pair is vulnerable, and pot is small.
2. Standard c-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, interesting. But u would have prefered to lead I guess?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it wasn't a 2 flush board I'd be more likely to lead but I'm c/f this a lot.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Thank you, Calidris, for posting these hands. I'll add to the discussion by putting in my two cents. The following are my responses during the review session between Calidris and me:

1. You’re heads up against a fairly loose opponent. You have flopped middle pair with a strong kicker. I would definitely bet this.

2. I would have probably bet the flop. You end up calling the bet anyway, so why not lead it out? You have two overcards and showed aggression preflop, so I’d keep the aggression going. If an opponent has hit trips, he’ll probably lash back with a raise. Only then would I gracefully bow out. But if your opponent(s) simply smooth call, the play becomes a little more difficult. Perhaps this is a hand we should discuss with each other.

3. The preflop reraise is fine. You missed the flop, but I would have probably raised after my opponent bet. The first two players checked, and the bettor may be taking a stab at the pot. I wouldn’t automatically assume he’s betting an ace or a king. You have position, and if your opponents continue to show aggression on the turn following your raise, I think a fold is in order.

Thank you, all, for your responses. It looks like I'm the lonely man in the third hand. After reading your responses, perhaps you are right about folding. No one would advocate a raise with position? I definitely agree that I'm not merely calling. I'm either raising or folding.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:42 PM

A passive player who called 2 cold PF is betting into a PF reraiser. He has an ace, 2pr, or a set.

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you, all, for your responses. It looks like I'm the lonely man in the third hand. After reading your responses, perhaps you are right about folding. No one would advocate a raise with position? I definitely agree that I'm not merely calling. I'm either raising or folding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-22-2007, 07:10 PM

*grunch*

Hand #1 - Toughest one of the bunch.

You bet, he folds: Good.
You bet, he raises: Good (you fold).
You bet, he calls: Meh.

You check, he checks: Meh. Pot is tiny. Bet/Fold any turn card.
You check, he bets, you raise, he folds: Yay!
You check, he bets, you raise, he 3-bets it: Worst.
You check, he bets, you raise, he calls: Probably bad.

Since a check-raise has to succeed a pretty fair amount of the time and you'll know where you stand a fair amount of time after leading out, I prefer the latter option - but since you did check, I recommend check-raising. Most loose/slightly aggro opponents will always bet if it's HU and they are last to act.

Check-calling here is a mistake. By check-calling you are saying to yourself:

"There's at least a 3.5-1 chance my opponent has air here, so I'm going to call."

This leaves you little room to maneuver on the turn, since he could either:

Check behind, getting a free card.
Check behind, with a much better hand that you'll be betting into on a safe-looking river card.
Bet, with you not knowing where you stand and now getting (thinks for a moment) now only 2-1 for him being on a total bluff.

Best to either win or lose this small pot on the flop, than get into an ambiguous situation on the turn out of position.

Hand #2

I c-bet here. If MP3 folds, then we'll have absolute position on the turn and can take a free card if we need it. If MP3 calls, then we pretty much have to give up on the turn. If everybody calls, I'm worried a bit that spiking top pair will still be no good, but not so much since JT, T9, Qx will often call here. You can't check-raise, and there's a good chance your overcard draw will be good (unless you are drawing dead). Try to eliminate opponents cheaply. Lead out.

Hand #3 - Fold. Where's the question? A LPP isn't donking anything (much) that you beat here. Sure, you might see someone play a smaller PP this way, or a gutshot - but you are very likely to be drawing to 2 outs.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 AM

Welcome home Atrophy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
My replies in the conversation with Atrophy containing some arguments

[ QUOTE ]
The following are my responses during the review session between Calidris and me:

1. You’re heads up against a fairly loose opponent. You have flopped middle pair with a strong kicker. I would definitely bet this.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this hand I c/f
You're may be right that I'm overly tight but I'll try to explain my reasoning. It is quite likely that my hand is best right now. Problem is that it's a really lousy hand, my opponent is loose and will call with just about anything. And...just about anything beats this hand. Add to that a tiny pot and i do like this. Against a tight opponent I'd bet.

In this hand I c/c
[ QUOTE ]
2. I would have probably bet the flop. You end up calling the bet anyway, so why not lead it out? You have two overcards and showed aggression preflop, so I’d keep the aggression going. If an opponent has hit trips, he’ll probably lash back with a raise. Only then would I gracefully bow out. But if your opponent(s) simply smooth call, the play becomes a little more difficult. Perhaps this is a hand we should discuss with each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, after reading the responses I agree. This should be a cbet. Thanx [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In this hand I fold
[ QUOTE ]
3. The preflop reraise is fine. You missed the flop, but I would have probably raised after my opponent bet. The first two players checked, and the bettor may be taking a stab at the pot. I wouldn’t automatically assume he’s betting an ace or a king. You have position, and if your opponents continue to show aggression on the turn following your raise, I think a fold is in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

One raise and two cold callers before the flop makes it virtually certain that one or more of them have an A or K so I'm drawing to 2 outs (or an unlikely runner runner QJ). Even if I get my third T that can complete the straight for a very possible QJ. I think this fold is correct.