Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: A Gift of $1500 thanks to a true donkey

I think he's saying Perkalator figured he was ahead of you and behind XXsooted and therefore felt like he had to make a move. Which might be reasonable if we were nowhere near the bubble. Or there was a really strong chance this was the case, which there isn't by a long shot.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were in XX's shoes, I could see you even bringing up the 1000 bet. The fact is, you barely had 2BBs pushing all-in with virtually any two and got called by two opponents. At this blind level, this would be a standard call even at the $1.75s. Perkulator probably felt that he had the best hand and bet enough on the river to make XX fold. You won with Ace high. Wow. Happens all the time. Your fate was sealed by the preflop play, not the river, IMO. Had XX not called and it played out the same way to the river, you still would have won the hand. Be glad it didn't get checked to the river because you surely would have been bounced in 4th and we wouldn't have even seen this hand.

Flight_Risk

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why even though I play the 33's, I agree there should be a STT Hi Forum.

Flight_Risk...you're nuts. The reason the river play was so bad is because he was bluffing into an empty pot. If he was behind Hero, his bluff made him no money. If he was ahead of Hero, his bluff made him no more money than he was already getting. If he's behind second villain, his bluff only weakens the chances that Hero gets beaten (thus costing him money). If he's ahead of second villain, his bluff does nothing anyway as that villain will not call with something that K-high beats.

The ONLY WAY this play makes Hero money is if he's precisely AHEAD of Hero yet behind Villain. Seeing as how he's got K-high and it's IMPOSSIBLE for him to know that, and seeing as how his bet decreases the chances of a guaranteed 1k real money for him, it was a ridiculously stupid bet.

Don't argue back...read it again and again until you see why.

Also...of COURSE Hero was happy about what happened...what in his post made you think that you needed to tell him to be glad that it happened?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:06 PM

It's still a terrible play. He bluffed into a dry side pot. It's basically a +cEV move, since you'll rarely ever lose your bet (since most other players will fold when someone bets here unless they have the nuts or something close to it), but it's incredibly, hugely, amazingly -$EV since you drastically decrease the chances of the 4th place guy getting knocked out and getting ITM.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:07 PM

If perkulator gets called or raised, 90+% of the time you're out in 4th. The check-it-down mentality people have allows for a lot of spots for people to make money by not following that rule.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:10 PM

reminded me of this hand I posted a while back
Old 02-23-2006, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perkalator didnt chat. It'a also clear flight risk doesnt understand this either.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's clear Flight_Risk doesn't care whether perkulator chatted or not.

Flight_Risk
Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 PM

I would assume he was thinking it would make it more likely for him to win the hand.

This is a particularly bad bad play with the 4 diamonds on the board and the fact that it's very unlikely that he beats Rojo anyway.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's still a terrible play. He bluffed into a dry side pot. It's basically a +cEV move, since you'll rarely ever lose your bet (since most other players will fold when someone bets here unless they have the nuts or something close to it), but it's incredibly, hugely, amazingly -$EV since you drastically decrease the chances of the 4th place guy getting knocked out and getting ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, the chances were decreased when both XX and perculator decided to call Rojo's all-in preflop. The side pot had nothing to do with it because Rojo couldn't win any of those chips, right? Henceforth, my reasoning that Rojo's fate was sealed preflop. I don't see the point of discussing the bad play of another player that caused you to win the pot versus losing it. The only thing you have control over is what you do. Concerning the blind levels and Rojo's stack, he what pretty much all of us would do, he went all-in. I've often struggled with this very thing, worried about what another player has done in the hand, win or lose, and came to the realization that it's all a pipe dream. I've been on the bad end and good end, whatever. Making what you all consider a bad play doesn't make you a donkey. It simply makes you a player who made a bad play. Back to the drawing board, nothing revolutional has transpired.

Flight_Risk
Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Uh, what? The chances weren't decreased when they called preflop, you only get to showdown your hand at the end. Rojo's fate was absolutely not sealed preflop, as he was losing on the river when Perk bluffed out a better hand for absolutely no personal gain. This wasn't a strategy post, it was a "LC:OMG a donkey" post that you've decided to defend a terrible play in. The bluff wasn't a bad play, it was a horrific play. There's no way you can finagle ranges narrow enough that you're confident you are ahead of Rojo but behind XX and that XX will fold to the bet. And that's the only way the bet is good, since XX sure as hell isn't calling with Q-high.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Dude. Flight risk your a cool guy, but this play is horrendous. It was posted for humor value, please please don't defend this guy. Anyone who does will only look bad, only to state it as more evidence to split the forum.