Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: What did Fredo Corleone actually do?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fredo had become bitter and resentful of his kid brother's rise in the family and his own relagation to menial tasks. He bagan working with Hyman Roth (through Johnny Ola) to take Michael out and probably hoped to takeover as Don.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably stretching it a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i doubt fredo had any malicious intent
Old 10-15-2005, 03:11 PM

Part I was great for obv reasons.

II was also great. It continued the story and DeNiro plays a good part. Sweet film.

III was also good. Not for the storyline. Yes, the story was lacking, but the great thing about the third film is that it completes the life of Michael Corleone. It shows the "rest of the story" and completes the trilogy. I actually get sad whenever I see the ending scene with him in the chair.

Also, I'm a sucker for sequels/related moveis as well.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Godfather Trilogy is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're overrated. Your whole life is overrated.

I like Godfather II even better than the first. The surprise party scene at the end is my favorite scene in all of film.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:35 PM

I umderstand Fredo had already been to Cuba and lied about it. I still dont know what actions he took to betray the family. Maybe he gave away some of Michael's plans for the future to Ola and/or Roth?

Thanks for the responses,

KennyBanya
Old 10-15-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fredo had become bitter and resentful of his kid brother's rise in the family and his own relagation to menial tasks. He bagan working with Hyman Roth (through Johnny Ola) to take Michael out and probably hoped to takeover as Don.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably stretching it a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i doubt fredo had any malicious intent

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I was going from memory and that's how I recalled it going down. In reviewing the script, it's clear that Fredo was bitter and resentful, but may have been duped by Roth and Ola.

Here's the dialog from the scene between Michael and Fredo sometime after their return from Havana.

FREDO
I didn't know it was gonna be a hit Mike -- I swear to god I didn't know it was going to be a hit. JOHNNY OLA bumped into me in Beverly Hills -- and he said that he wanted to talk -- he said that you and -- and -- ROTH were in on a -- a -- big deal together. And that there was something in it for me if I'd help 'em out. He said that -- he said that -- you were bein' tough on the negotiations. But if they could get a little help -- and close the deal fast -- it'd be good for the family.

MICHAEL
You believed that story. You believed that.

FREDO
He said there was something in it for me -- on my own.

MICHAEL
I've always taken care of you Fredo.

FREDO
Taken care of me. You're my kid brother and you take care of me. Did you ever think about that -- did you ever once think about that. Send Fredo off to do this -- send Fredo off to do that! Let Fredo take care of some Mickey Mouse night club somewhere! Send Fredo to pick somebody up at the airport! I'm your older brother Mike and I was stepped over!

MICHAEL
That's the way Pop wanted it.

FREDO
It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things I'm smart -- not like everyone says -- not dumb, smart and I want respect!

MICHAEL
Fredo…you're nothing to me now -- you're not a brother, you're not a friend, I don't want to know you or what you do -- I don't want to see you at the hotels -- I don't want you near my house -- when you see our mother I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there -- you understand.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I definitely think that Fredo involvement with Roth/Ola was trying to carve out a peice for himself, I doubt Fredo had any kind of masterplan for taking over the Corleone familly.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:50 PM

i'm aware of the dialogue in the movie
Old 10-15-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I umderstand Fredo had already been to Cuba and lied about it. I still dont know what actions he took to betray the family. Maybe he gave away some of Michael's plans for the future to Ola and/or Roth?

KennyBanya

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the latest Godfather Novel, (I forget the title), they give the explanation.

Fredo was giving Roth information about Michales plans for Cuba... nothing else. In return Roth was going to finance a fancy cemetary devlopement that Fredo had proposed to Michael, that was turned down. So basically Fredo would have his own little nitch.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

KennyBanya

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the latest Godfather Novel, (I forget the title), they give the explanation.

Fredo was giving Roth information about Michales plans for Cuba... nothing else. In return Roth was going to finance a fancy cemetary devlopement that Fredo had proposed to Michael, that was turned down. So basically Fredo would have his own little nitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like siblin' killin's in order.

-ptmusic
Old 10-15-2005, 08:37 PM

If you thought the Godfather I and II were great and III sucked, you should read the book because the book encompasses I and II. What is amazing is I think the book is better than the movies, and I think those are some of the best movies ever made.