Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: It\'s official, I suck at Axs

[ QUOTE ]
You want to win money, not pots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ehh, yes. Did I say something else?

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop in hand three, you have a pair of Aces and everyone checked to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am also around even money with anyone holding 2 diamonds and the pot is small. A non diamond on the turn makes me a 3:1 favourite. All I'm saying is that it might not be worth figting over a small pot like this. Better opportunities are around the corner?

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Don't open limp there. It's raise or fold (sorry for saying it)

[/ QUOTE ]
That's interesting. I've heard many advocating for such a play on other occasions. What would be the reson for that with 6 more players to act after me? Folding stuff that beat my 9?

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: Clear fold. You are most likely behind SB, drawing to few outs and have another player to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeahish, I kinda agree that we're not in great shape here but what makes you think we're behind SB?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: Clear fold. You are most likely behind SB, drawing to few outs and have another player to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeahish, I kinda agree that we're not in great shape here but what makes you think we're behind SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without any reads, I would consider a reasonable range for SB's preflop raise to be say AA-TT,AK & AQ.

You would be way behind most of this range. You could be ahead of JJ and QQ, but SB would have been brave to bet those hands into 2 opponents with both the A & K overcards on the flop.

If you extend SB's preflop raising range slightly to include say AJs,KQs,KJs & QJs, on balance you would still not be in good shape.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 PM

I think you may be right Fantam although I could include a few more PP who wants to get it HU against MP2.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop in hand three, you have a pair of Aces and everyone checked to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am also around even money with anyone holding 2 diamonds and the pot is small. A non diamond on the turn makes me a 3:1 favourite. All I'm saying is that it might not be worth figting over a small pot like this. Better opportunities are around the corner?

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain why you think you're 'around even money' with a flush draw on hand 3, please.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM

I was just "stoving" it with two diamonds on one hand, PP on one and 1 random. Came out 41:35 or something in my favour. The exact ratio is not important though. All i'm saying is that the equity distribution will change a lot on the turn.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Don't open limp there. It's raise or fold (sorry for saying it)

[/ QUOTE ]
That's interesting. I've heard many advocating for such a play on other occasions. What would be the reson for that with 6 more players to act after me? Folding stuff that beat my 9?

[/ QUOTE ]
I misread the hand preflop and I thought you were in the CO, so I'd say the limp isn't as bad as I thought at first. Typically though, when you're closer to the button and get the chance to open, you can begin to raise an A7s type hand rather than limp it because:
a) there is less of a chance than people will find hands to limp in with behind you so the pot is less likely to be multiway
b) because the pot is less likely to be multiway, raising gives you a chance to steal the blinds which is a good thing
c) chance of folding out better hands behind you such as small pocket pairs and A8-AT
d) good players will attack you for limping and try to isolate you with hands that are both ahead and behind you which will result in you folding to a lot of c-bets.

With some drawing hands such as A7s, I tend to limp with them in EP hoping to get a multiway pot, fold them in MP because I probably won't get a multiway pot despite several people behind me, and raise in LP because the hands are strong enough to steal with or try to play heads up.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just "stoving" it with two diamonds on one hand, PP on one and 1 random. Came out 41:35 or something in my favour. The exact ratio is not important though. All i'm saying is that the equity distribution will change a lot on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reason not to raise a contested pot, especially with poor position relative to the flop bettor. This is not a reason to check behind with what is likely the best hand.

Questions:

1) What makes you believe you're up against a flush draw?
2) What makes you believe you're up against a pocket pair?
3) Why don't you want to bet when you likely have the best hand?
4) Why don't you want to bet when (according to your numbers assuming you're up against a flush draw and a pocket pair and a random hand) you have a pretty good-sized equity edge?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM

I'm not saying betting is wrong, not even that i did anything else. I'm just trying to argue different ways to play it to get some input. Thanx all who gave some. Here's how they played out.

Hand 1:
Obviously, I should have bet the river too since theyre calling with many hands I beat.
Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Hand 2:
I decided on r/f after some thinking here. Probably should have folded directly. No way I'm good here.
Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero folds

Hand 3:
Not much to say about. I'm probably way behind here but with big pot I decided to call down.
Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (7.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM

I really hate the raise/fold line on hand 2 for a couple of reasons. First, if you think SB is an idiot raising from the blind with something that really missed this flop I'd rather give him the expensive streets to take c-bet shots at this pot instead of folding for a SB. Two, if I saw you do that one time I'd 3-bet you until the oceans dried up and Twinkies went bad.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:12 PM

So I should call even though MP2 happily calls 2 cold and I most likely don't have anything that can improve my hand?

I don't love folding here either, but calling for table image reasons... I dunno.