Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Re: (weird) line check deep

[ QUOTE ]
And I dont get why you are trying to build a pot when you dont have a hand and you only have 20-25 % chance of hitting the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'll have to run some numbers and percentages to see if a turn bet is more EV than checking, but it just felt intuitively better. Not sure though...

Isolating only the turn action, I admit it's a terrible semibluff against this player, but how does that affect the river action compared to just check/calling in your opinion? I'm somewhat certain that the results are going to be different if you compare both lines.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Don't you think that since you check pf and given the line you took your range is pretty transparent here?
How does villain views you?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Probably kind of spewy. I've made some dumb bluffs and reckless plays when a 3rd spade hit the river completing his flush draw and hitting my set (it was a pretty reckless play on my part). The action for that hand: I raised preflop in EP, cbet flop, check/called turn, CRAI river.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 AM

supereasy turn check. Betting is like setting money on fire. The only reason you'd bet is if you were going to make a smaller bet (like 1/2 pot) as a blockbet to see the river cheaply vs a non-aggressive player. Obviously this isn't the case.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:30 AM

What's your plan on river if you hit?
c/r or b/3b?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 AM

Obviously you're not semi-bluffing here, you're betting to deceive him into making a big mistake on the river when you hit.
If you're pretty confident that he will pay you more than the pot on the river when you hit (which means a heart or a ten and no split) betting out might actually be more ev than just calling because of stack sizes.
You're giving up Ev on the turn in order to set him up to make a bigger mistake on the river.
As played if you lead out again on the river with a psb It might not look as if you hit your draw because you're just doing what you've been doing on every street. (Plus you c/r last hand when you thought you were strong so he might feel you're not that strong this time?)
I suppose a brick hit the river and you c/f? (if not post the rest please)
Old 06-25-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
supereasy turn check. Betting is like setting money on fire. The only reason you'd bet is if you were going to make a smaller bet (like 1/2 pot) as a blockbet to see the river cheaply vs a non-aggressive player. Obviously this isn't the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if my turn AND river line together is profitable, then I think 1/2 pot bet does achieve the same thing. I admit turn is -EV, but I'm really trying to maximize my EV across both streets (though whether this is true, I still have to figure out).
Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you're not semi-bluffing here, you're betting to deceive him into making a big mistake on the river when you hit.
If you're pretty confident that he will pay you more than the pot on the river when you hit (which means a heart or a ten and no split) betting out might actually be more ev than just calling because of stack sizes.
You're giving up Ev on the turn in order to set him up to make a bigger mistake on the river.
As played if you lead out again on the river with a psb It might not look as if you hit your draw because you're just doing what you've been doing on every street. (Plus you c/r last hand when you thought you were strong so he might feel you're not that strong this time?)
I suppose a brick hit the river and you c/f? (if not post the rest please)

[/ QUOTE ]

CR, I did it last time as a dumb bluff and I'm sure he'll very likely look me up again here if I do it again. He's loose, but not dumb-loose passive where he just auto-calls.