Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: UTG w/ JJ minraised by BB, fold?

I thought about limping UTG with JJ, but thought that was way too weak tight. There's literally only 3 hands that beat me.
I'd like to know how others play JJ in this circumstance so I'm open to suggestions.

In live games, the structure is such that the buy-in is a very small multiple of the BB and players are loose enough to call 5x and even 8x BB preflop with speculative hands. I think it's more of a mistake on the part of the caller than the raiser to raise 5x, but I could be wrong.

If I were to bet $10-12, then I get all kinds of junk hands calling and then I really won't know where I am on the flop. So the big bet is because 1) it's standard in these live games 2) it gets value because the loose players will call it with worse hands 3) it narrows the field enough for me to make a decision on the flop.

Comments from online and live game players welcomed.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: UTG w/ JJ minraised by BB, fold?

[ QUOTE ]
This is a live 2/3 game with $100 buy-in.
I've only been in the game for 2 rounds so no real reads on anyone.
I have about $150 and I pick up J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in UTG.
I raise to $15 and it's folded to BB.
BB has about $350 and minraises me to $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? No reads?
We have a capped buy-in of 100 bucks, and this guy has 350. Unlikely he is a fish. It could be that the rest of the table is worse than him, but again: unlikely.

Another signal: He prob wants you heads up but not gone (you are getting 3-1 and position on the minraise): good pair or big slick.

With no other reads, I would keep the pot as small as I can. Untill you learn more about him...

J