Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Flopped set of aces... should I have bet the flop?

My response based on the title alone: Yes.

My response after readinng the hand: Absolutely. You have have the nuts, it's a draw heavy board and there can easily be some draws or second best hands out there that you want to charge to draw against you.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:51 PM

keep catching hands like that and you'll be able to beat that rake no problem.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) If I flop trips and the board has no straight or flush draw potential I'll check and slow-play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: There is always a backdoor straight on the way when you have a set of Aces...unless the board is A+pair, giving you nut boat. Notice here: The J on the turn gives QT a double gut and KQ a gutshot to beat you.

Just beware when you slowplay a set of aces on the flop that the turn will either put a backdoor straight out there or a full house for you.

And finally, from a metagame standpoint, if people notice you check top set or don't bet aggressively with it on the flop after a preflop raise, then they know what you don't have when you bet the flop. You MAY win a big hand with a set of aces...you MAY end up losing a big pot to a backdoor straight draw.

But, in a TOP sense, you would have been giving flush draws the right price if they had been out there...but in this case, you gave the underset draw something he could call.

Look, if I'd reraise KK/QQ/JJ/TT there and bet big on this flop, I'd do it with AA, too.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) If I flop trips and the board has no straight or flush draw potential I'll check and slow-play. If I don't get any action, I'll go all in at the turn. If the turn gives my opponent the second best hand, but he/she thinks it might be the best, they have a big decision to make. Most likely they'll fold, but if they don't the odds are in your favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but this advice sucks. This is just a great way to not build pots or get paid off on your big hands. Slowplaying is almost never correct. The best way to make money at SSNL is by charging your opponents to draw when they're drawing slim or dead.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) If I flop trips and the board has no straight or flush draw potential I'll check and slow-play. If I don't get any action, I'll go all in at the turn. If the turn gives my opponent the second best hand, but he/she thinks it might be the best, they have a big decision to make. Most likely they'll fold, but if they don't the odds are in your favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but this advice sucks. This is just a great way to not build pots or get paid off on your big hands. Slowplaying is almost never correct. The best way to make money at SSNL is by charging your opponents to draw when they're drawing slim or dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Most of the time you aren't going to get this lucky. You don't have to be tricky. Unless you flop quads in an unraised pot or top boat, I'd be more inclined to just bet. Bet if you hit, bet if you miss, bet if your strong, bet if your weak. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 02-21-2006, 04:04 PM

Bet 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot on the flop. I'd put him all-in on the turn.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-21-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: There is always a backdoor straight on the way when you have a set of Aces...unless the board is A+pair

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not even backdoor, the next card may give your opponent a straight as Doyle pointed out in Super System.

A+high card and opponent has two high cards.

A+low card and your opponent has two low cards.

If neither of the above is true then it's A+2 middle cards and your opponent has two middle cards.

Garon
Old 02-21-2006, 04:14 PM

I would bet the size of the pot on flop and then put him all in on the turn. The reason being is that he may have been on a flush draw and this may be a semi bluff. Even worse he may have two connected cards 910s that could draw to a straight and to a flush. I've been in the same situation many times and lost big pots because i get out drawn on the river. This is the best way i've found of protecting your hand, but i still struggle about what to do if the flush card comes or a straight card comes on the turn or river after you raise the flop any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:38 PM

You should bet the flop, and make it a real bet, not $20. When you bet less than you raised preflop you are sending him a clear signal. He has to think that you either just missed the flop completely and are trying to win the pot cheaply or that you are slowplaying a monster. This leaves him free to just call and use the cheap turn card to try and beat you. Bet at least enough that a flush draw is getting the wrong odds to call.

I'm guessing you wouldn't bet $20 if you had AK on this flop. If your opponent is smart, he can figure out what you do and don't have by your betting. The way to fix this is to always bet the same amount. Then he doesn't know whether you have top pair, two pair, a set, a flush draw, or air and has lots of opportunities to make mistakes against you.