Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Ingenious Scams

[ QUOTE ]
Im leaving, but I have about 500 of these little scams that I will post later tonight. Ill leave it up to you guys to determine which ones Ive actually done.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds very interesting. Cant wait.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 PM

Similar to OP scam, there was a story in our local paper years ago of a woman that called restaurant managers and complained that she overheard a waiter making fun of her retarded son to another waiter and the managers would send her all these gift cards I guess. Got caught when one of the managers transferred to another restaurant in the same area.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:56 PM

Consequences?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
set up a 809 number, leave tons of messges/pages etc, to random phone numbers, when teh owner calls the 809 number back they are charged a fee. 809 is akin to 900 numbers, but no one knows about them

[/ QUOTE ]

I first read about this one in Frank Abagnale's book years ago. One kid set one up and made like a mil in a very short period. He did get nailed though iirc.

Another cool variant was setting up the number, I also think you can adjust the 'fee', and calling and leaving messages at places that are in sales. The mark obviously calls back because hey it's an interested customer right? A lot of times they would call back multiple times. I think that guy had it set up for $35 a pop.

There are tons of ingenious scams mentioned in his books. He was the guy Catch Me If You Can was based on, not to mention he pulled off/invented a bunch himself.

One of the great ones he did was to go to a small town and set up a bank account. Then he would go to the desk and take a stack of the deposit forms and using those rub-off letters fill in his acct. # down in the innocuous corner for that info. Over the course of a few days all the deposits would go to his acct. He cashes out soon thereafter. Of course this was back in the 60's so it probably alot easier to pull that one off.

I'm more fascinated by some of the Russian Mob scams. Those guys are f'ing ridiculous at scamming. The gas tax scam they set up was awesome. And they netted billions.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:13 PM

I posted this a while back. From the movie lock, stock, and two smoking barrels
Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
set up a 809 number, leave tons of messges/pages etc, to random phone numbers, when teh owner calls the 809 number back they are charged a fee. 809 is akin to 900 numbers, but no one knows about them

[/ QUOTE ]

I first read about this one in Frank Abagnale's book years ago. One kid set one up and made like a mil in a very short period. He did get nailed though iirc.

Another cool variant was setting up the number, I also think you can adjust the 'fee', and calling and leaving messages at places that are in sales. The mark obviously calls back because hey it's an interested customer right? A lot of times they would call back multiple times. I think that guy had it set up for $35 a pop.

There are tons of ingenious scams mentioned in his books. He was the guy Catch Me If You Can was based on, not to mention he pulled off/invented a bunch himself.

One of the great ones he did was to go to a small town and set up a bank account. Then he would go to the desk and take a stack of the deposit forms and using those rub-off letters fill in his acct. # down in the innocuous corner for that info. Over the course of a few days all the deposits would go to his acct. He cashes out soon thereafter. Of course this was back in the 60's so it probably alot easier to pull that one off.

I'm more fascinated by some of the Russian Mob scams. Those guys are f'ing ridiculous at scamming. The gas tax scam they set up was awesome. And they netted billions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im back, I went to the planterium to watch the shuttle launch..on a friday night no less. That is a great book btw.

round up a crew of guys, 4 of them should do, have two of them become regulars of the bar, then send in the other two of them and have them get into a "fight", the other two guys break the fight up, but not w/o them damaging a ton of stuff before taking off. repeat a 2nd night, but this time the regulars offer the bar owner to join the neighborhood security watch for a weekly/monthly fee. The bar owner gets the gist of what is going on, if he is to hard-headed to pay, you keep comming back.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 PM

That seems more like intimidation and extortion than a scam.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That seems more like intimidation and extortion than a scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

its extortion, but its also a scam.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:06 PM

Er, it's only barely a scam, there's no mark. The owner might pay, but when he does pay he knows it's for protection. It's not clever or ingenious, sometimes people will pay you to not break their [censored]. Other times they call the cops on you, though, and/or have their own associates beat the [censored] out of you. The goal of a scam is that the mark doesn't know he's been conned.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Er, it's only barely a scam, there's no mark. The owner might pay, but when he does pay he knows it's for protection. It's not clever or ingenious, sometimes people will pay you to not break their [censored]. Other times they call the cops on you, though, and/or have their own associates beat the [censored] out of you. The goal of a scam is that the mark doesn't know he's been conned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of one kind of scam, maybe. The goal of others is just to get money.