Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: AJ 50nl flop Jxx donk bet into

Ok.. so what do you do on the turn if he bets say.. 6? Or what if he bets 10. If he pots?

I'm usually the first person to call someone down light if I think they don't have a lot, I get trapped in hands like this because I'm never sure when to let it go if I don't raise.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there really any reason to raise his flop bet? The board is pretty dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I call the flop.. he bets $8 on the turn, what then? Fold having shown no agression other than preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call flop, call turn, fold river unimproved if he fires all three streets. Given this guy's stats, I don't think he's three-barreling you oop. I honestly don't see why you'd raise this guy unless you have a read that he'll call your raises with top pair and a medium/weak kicker.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Call flop, call turn, fold river unimproved if he fires all three streets. Given this guy's stats, I don't think he's three-barreling you oop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably like 60/40 for raising the flop and taking it from there or doing this line [with quoted line being the 40].
Old 05-22-2007, 10:14 PM

What's the difference? If I call flop and call turn I'm investing the same amount as if I raise. I raised because I thought I could have the best hand.

Everyones thinking on here lately has been trying to turn people into calling stations. That call call fold line is one I hardly ever use. If I call the turn I end up calling the river more times than not.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the difference? If I call flop and call turn I'm investing the same amount as if I raise. I raised because I thought I could have the best hand.

Everyones thinking on here lately has been trying to turn people into calling stations. That call call fold line is one I hardly ever use. If I call the turn I end up calling the river more times than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

The total investment is the same, but your return on investment is quite different. If villain has a set, you lose the same amount either way. If villain has a lesser top pair, raising will likely shut out a reasonable player. On such a dry board, you're either way ahead, or way behind, so try to think of it in terms of maximizing the amount you can get a villain to give you while you're way ahead.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that raising pretty much guarantees that he won't make a mistake. Raising won't make him fold a better hand, and, given his stats and your reads, the only worse hands he's calling a flop raise with are maybe K-J and Q-J. If you just call, he may bet or call a bet with an inferior holding on the turn.

I agree this is a line that should seldom be used, but this is one of them.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose the difference is that you don't have to play for your whole stack with TPTK. Having someone fire three barrells OOP is more of a reason to lay down a hand than someone getting sick of being pushed around, calling B.S. on your raise and pushing.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:51 PM

If he likes to pot control with TP-type hands, then his turn betting frequency is going to go down, right?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:18 PM

raise here is perfect, just make it smaller. fold to repop. As played not bad.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 PM

I meant for it to be smaller.. I think I was screwing with the slider and just said that's good. I really expected him to fold actually.