Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Is this beatable? New Florida NL games

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's confusing that with the limit games, which probably will be 2/5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. I also heard that limit games were being upgraded so that's probably where I heard the blind structure.

Here's a better question

What would make more money?

A person well skilled at Limit poker playing 2/5

or

A person moderately skilled at NL playing 1/2 max $100 buyin.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 PM

I think NL will be more profitable because there will be tons of Florida gamboolers who have not had the opportunity to play NL outside of Vegas and AC and want to play it for awhile as opposed to slightly higher limit.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Seems to me that there will need to be some significant donors to the games for them to even survive if they're going to be taking nearly 2 buy-ins/hour off the table in rake alone.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Pretty much any no-limit game with a reasonable rake (instead of time) is beatable. If it's 1/2 100max it will be very beatable.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:26 PM

I just played these 1/2 limit games a couple of days ago and Oh My Good God if these same players are in the 1/2 NL game I will be there mopping up. They were absolutely horrible. HORRIBLE. But in a good way.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:29 PM

Is it a $100 cap EACH hand or just the buy-in that is capped?

Either way the answer is yes, of course its beatable, very beatable.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 PM

I am very excited about this turn of events. As has been said, as long as there isn't a $100 cap on the pot, the stacks will get deep quickly and the play will be spectacularly bad.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM

The $100 cap is on the buy-in, not each hand.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM

We've been discussing this new legislation at length over in the "Legislation" forum in two threads:

FLORIDA ALLOWING POKER GAME STAKES TO BE RAISED IN JULY!
and
florida has done it

A lot of the discussion has centered around the exact language of the applicable Bill, SB 752, which states in pertinent part as follows:
"However, a cardroom operator may conduct games of Texas Hold-em without a betting limit if the required player buy-in is no more than $100." Link to full text of bill: SB 752

From a statutory construction point of view, the legislature got the language wrong if they want to limit the buy-in to $100. What they passed was a maximum REQUIRED buy-in, which is a far thing from a maximum buy-in.

The misunderstanding came from the staff analysis of the bill, which comes to an incorrect conclusion regarding the limited buy-in issue (either the staffer was not familiar with cardroom operations, was an idiot, or intentionally flubbed the analysis).

So, as worded, the new legislation permits UNCAPPED no-limit games. I don't think the parimutuels have caught on to this language yet ... because all they've been talking about are 1-2 NL $100 buy-in games. This legislation has much greater potential and we need to make sure that we exploit it to the fullest.

Granted, this bill has not been signed by the Governor ... so there is still a slight possibility of a veto (but no one thinks that will happen).

What every Florida poker player needs to do is make sure that he/she makes her voice heard when the Division of Parimutuel Wagering issues regulations on the new law. We need to be sure to comment during the applicable period to make sure the regulations are not more restrictive than the language of the law. Then, we need to make sure the parimutuels understand the law.

I'm currently paying very close attention to these developments and will post status updates on the new law and any new regulations.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:55 PM

Funny. So they meant to have $100 capped buy-in games and instead they are accidentally passing uncapped games possibly?

Certainly the $100NL (either 1/2 or 2/5) would be beatable, wouldn't it? Moreso than the ridiculous limit games they currently have I would imagine.

I don't play these capped NL games because it's always uncapped in Tunica.
But I know they are common in a lot of other places.

I think some people are picturing a bunch of people sitting there nitting it out with their short-stacks and I really don't think that is the case at all.
These palyers will be terrible and will have some serious gamble in them.

Some of them have to win...and the ones that don't will rebuy or be replaced by other players.

Shouldn't be uncommon at all to have stacks of $200, $400 or $500 at your table.
It won't be the deepest stack poker ever because there will see be plenty of players with stacks of $100 or lower. But you might get some deep-stackish play I would imagine.

This is a great thing for Florida poker imo.
Even if it's not ideal, it's still a LOT better than what they currently have.