Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: 109r top pair monotone flop hand

c/r seems like the worst idea ever

lets start with bet 1500.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 AM

c/f or lead i think. I want to say lead a safe/good turn if checked through, but that's barely a third of the deck (although b/f on the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] type cards is easy enough).

I don't see why we expect CO to bet with any hand we beat (besides a bluff). He's last to act and this is a flop that people love to checkraise. His stack is really awkward for him to semibluff the flop vs checking if he has just an overcard spade AxQs for example. Sure, he calls if c-r'ed and usually has lots of equity (vs for example J9 no spade or TT w/ spade), but potting it when last to act? Even with the ace of spades, so getting c-r'ed is less likely, I think a lot of villains would take the card. Even if he bets and get flat called, turn blanks are real awkward.

I like c-r a smaller bet, like $1300, a lot better than c-r a full pot bet. So if you check, plan is to see the bet size and SB's action, and fold or raise depending (folding to the 2k in the OP). And bet/fold most non-spade turns, bet/call a few. If you bet, you probably have to call a shove from CO, fold to c-r from SB. I think betting is better.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:12 AM

If you're CO, what do you do with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] if chewy checks?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
c/f or lead i think. I want to say lead a safe/good turn if checked through, but that's barely a third of the deck (although b/f on the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] type cards is easy enough).

I don't see why we expect CO to bet with any hand we beat. He's last to act and this is a flop that people love to checkraise. His stack is really awkward for him to semibluff the flop vs checking if he has just an overcard spade AxQs for example. Sure, he calls if c-r'ed and usually has lots of equity (vs for example J9 no spade or TT w/ spade), but potting it when last to act? Even with the ace of spades, so getting c-r'ed is less likely, I think a lot of villains would take the card. Even if he bets and get flat called, turn blanks are real awkward.

I like c-r a smaller bet, like $1300, a lot better than c-r a full pot bet. So if you check, plan is to see the bet size and SB's action, and fold or raise depending (folding to the 2k in the OP). And bet/fold most non-spade turns, bet/call a few. If you bet, you probably have to call a shove from CO, fold to c-r from SB. I think betting is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, this is almost exactly what i was thinking. i think betting is possibly better than checking but if we were oop vs both i think it'd be a clear check, and if we were in position vs both i think it'd be a clear bet. and under the assumption CO bet's 2k if we check i agree c/f definitely > c/r
Old 05-11-2007, 01:50 AM

i just skimmed the hand and missed your hypothetical of CO potting it. I'd check looking to c/r unless CO potted it.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT Unless you like getting your stack in dead. I would either lead 1500 or C/C.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT Unless you like getting your stack in dead. I would either lead 1500 or C/C.

[/ QUOTE ]

c/c 2k? There are so many bad turn cards, I don't like this. I think c/f is better.

Results:

In hand, I crai and villain thinks for like 2 seconds and calls with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Apparently he and I both have the same though process of putting villain on a hand you can beat, in this case a single spade, and getting all the chips in. In retrospect, I don't really like my play in the hand much at all. I probably just lead next time and deal with a cr or shove if it happens.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:05 PM

wait luckychew posted ur HH?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait luckychew posted ur HH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm hero.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:36 PM

I like to lead out at this pot for ~1400. If you get cold called by either player I'm probably shutting down against the CO and playing pot control v the SB. If CO shoves over the top then I think you have a decision to make but I lean towards folding as there are not too many hands he can shove you with that you are very far ahead of.

I dont really like c/r here as any hand that calls you, probably either has you buried, or is likely a 50/50.

I personally am not putting 1/2 my stack here at risk and turning a blind steal into possible disaster.

Based on your hypothetical of checking and the CO pots it, I prefer a stop n go here if I am going to proceed than a c/r where I think our FE is slim. If he has AsX you get called here as a 50/50 but may possibly get a fold on the turn with 1 card to come if he doesnt improve.