Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Lay Down a Set?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are times when you can fold a set. This is not one of them. Not even close, actually.

Call turn and get in in by any means possible on any river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably should have mentioned that the villian was a 10/8/3 12 tabler. His check call on the flop should have been a red flag, and I really feel like I should have slowed down and made a half pot sized bet on the turn where I could still have some room. I don't think this villian takes this line with any hand other than QQ or JJ and JJ is impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's a cooler, whatever. Even 12 tablers do weird things with AA/KK or even 66/QJ. Coolers happen, get over it, next hand.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 AM

How can you imagine that laying down a set on a board with no straights and no flushes is a good idea?

Get your stack in, and if you lose it, move on. Maybe you don't know this, but you can't win every hand.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are times when you can fold a set. This is not one of them. Not even close, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably should have mentioned that the villian was a 10/8/3 12 tabler. His check call on the flop should have been a red flag, and I really feel like I should have slowed down and made a half pot sized bet on the turn where I could still have some room. I don't think this villian takes this line with any hand other than QQ or JJ and JJ is impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Given his stats he is no where near nitty enough to narrow his range down to QQ only unless you have some other read or history with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he came over the top on the turn I was sure I was beat. I have over 5k hands logged with him and I have never seen him get out of line.

When someone has an AF of 3-4 over 5k+ hands and the raise PF UTG and check a Q high flop. It is highly suspicious. Had he led out the flop I would have felt better about going broke here.

I am disappointed that I didn't trust my gut and read on this hand. Sometimes a hand history doesn't portray everything that you feel during the hand due to prior hands with villian, etc. I don't care how much of a cooler a hand is, if you KNOW you are beat sometimes you just have to fold.

I have no problem with coolers, but sometimes you have to make the big fold, and this felt like the time to do it. I probably fold too much, but I don't think it hurts my bottom line.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM

Wow, guess I should explain my reasoning. On the flop I can put UTG on a lot of hands, Button overcalling concerns me. What is he calling a raise PF with and just over calling with on such a dry flop that I can beat? AK? AQ? A6s? This seems like a reasonable line for 66.

UTG leading pot on turn concerns me, does he really do that in what was a 5 way preflop pot and 2 callers on that dry of a flop with AK? He is a solid player. Is it possible he has 66, AA, or a doubtful 99? So if he does have AK, am I putting both players here on AK?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 PM

That's a sonic-boom call. Not close.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Given his stats he is no where near nitty enough to narrow his range down to QQ only unless you have some other read or history with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he came over the top on the turn I was sure I was beat. I have over 5k hands logged with him and I have never seen him get out of line.

When someone has an AF of 3-4 over 5k+ hands and the raise PF UTG and check a Q high flop. It is highly suspicious. Had he led out the flop I would have felt better about going broke here.

I am disappointed that I didn't trust my gut and read on this hand. Sometimes a hand history doesn't portray everything that you feel during the hand due to prior hands with villian, etc. I don't care how much of a cooler a hand is, if you KNOW you are beat sometimes you just have to fold.

I have no problem with coolers, but sometimes you have to make the big fold, and this felt like the time to do it. I probably fold too much, but I don't think it hurts my bottom line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are probably right.

And as far as the hand goes it would have been a big fold for sure but given the history you have with him you can certainly argue a fold. Big folds are certainly a part of the game (last night I correctly folded a boat on the river) but of course you can start to develop MUBS if you aren't careful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a hand I played last night that I really think I should have gotten away from on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

scared money?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM

This thread got hijacked. Original poster, you've gotta get it allin here. I'm guessing you did and got burnt by AA/66 (maybe both).
Old 05-08-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a hand I played last night that I really think I should have gotten away from on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

scared money?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm....no.....

since when is making a correct fold scared money?

If he has QQ there half the time and AA-KK the other half, does this make it a call or does it make it a fold? Neither, it means that it really doesn't matter what you do, in the long run it is breakeven.

PS sorry about the hijack.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

scared money?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm....no.....

since when is making a correct fold scared money?

If he has QQ there half the time and AA-KK the other half, does this make it a call or does it make it a fold? Neither, it means that it really doesn't matter what you do, in the long run it is breakeven.

PS sorry about the hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly...

If his range is QQ+ :

There are 12 combos of AA and KK and 3 combos of QQ. He is much more likely to have AA or KK. So, it isn't a break even thing.