Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: A9s - Preflop Question

[ QUOTE ]
WHY ARE WE FOLDING (OR MAYBE RAISING) A9S UTG??

AM I IN THE WRONG FORUM? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely this statement is game dependant. In some of the 2/4 games online a limp here is likely to get you isolated by aggressive late position players. In others you can limp with impunity...
Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to Matthew Hilger ('Odds & probabilities'), your odds to flop a flush with two suited hole cards are 124:1. Odds of flopping a flush draw: 8:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure that MH's odds are that accurate for this, but he may possibly have been doing some rounding up.

The odds of flopping a flush draw with 2 suited cards are about 10.9%.

And the odds of flopping 2 pair with any 2 cards are about 2%.

So, you have a combined chance of about 13% of flopping something that you would like, which equates to odds of about 7.7:1 .
Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 PM

Yes, I think he does round it up a bit. It's easier to remember "middle connectors = 8:1 to flop a straight draw (or better)", "two suited hole cards = 8:1 to flop a flush draw (or better)"
Old 05-08-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, you have a combined chance of about 13% of flopping something that you would like, which equates to odds of about 7.7:1 .

[/ QUOTE ]
So being 7.7:1 to catch a flush draw makes this example a call preflop given the implied odds. correct or no?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So being 7.7:1 to catch a flush draw makes this example a call preflop given the implied odds. correct or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, if it had been only 1 bet back, with you getting immediate odds of about 6:1 to call.

But not when it is 2 bets back to you to call, and the best odds that you might get would be about 4:1 if the 1st raiser also called.

Add the possibility that the 1st raiser might decide to 3-bet, and then your odds for calling the 2-bet are even worse !

If you meant limping in from UTG, then I think it would be ok if you had accurately judged the table to be playing loose passively.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WHY ARE WE FOLDING (OR MAYBE RAISING) A9S UTG??

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise this all day. If your opponents are loose-passive they coldcall anyway, and if they're tight and tough I wouldn't want to play the hand that badly but still probably raise because I don't want to get iso-raised. It actually takes unusual circumstances for me to limp.

EDIT: OK, thought for like 2 seconds and what I originally said wasn't true. I still think raising is a better default though.