Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: 10NL (9Max): AA line check

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($9.85)
Button ($3.80)
SB ($1.60)
BB ($2.90)
UTG ($2)
<font color="#C00000">MP1 ($7.95)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($9.35)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.6</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($5.35) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $5.35</font>, Hero calls $2.35.

River: ($16.05) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $16.05

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has 9d 9h (three of a kind, nines).
Hero has Ac Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP1 wins $16.05. </font>

So, I bet $3 and the guy insta pushed all-in. I really don't have a good feeling about this hand. But the pot is $14.7, and I am only calling for 2.35. It's like 7:1, so I called. But I really don't have good feeling. Doesn't matter how bad you feel, you can never get away from thsi right? So in the end he has a set. Isn't this such a strange line for sets?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 AM

Be careful of mini raises on the flop.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Min-raise can equal draws and TPWK.

OP, I push the turn.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, usualy means a big hand at low stakes. I think a player on a draw is more likely to check call all the way or push. I'd be tempted to either push the turn to stop drwing hands or just try and check it down because of the dangerous board 70% favouring checking. After the turn bet its insta call, but you know your not likely to win.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Min-raise can equal draws and TPWK.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't agree... Depending on villain. Nitty villain minraising = MONSTER. Over-aggro villain minraising = anything, Draw up to monster... I'd put these over aggro villains allin on that flop possibly.

I'm either checking turn, calling river or betting turn, folding to a push (bit a problem with stack sizes here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 05-08-2007, 12:26 PM

You're both right about the min-raising. :-)
In this case, the min-raise is for $2, which is a pretty significant portion of the villian's stack. It's definitely more worrisome than a .40-&gt;.80 min-raise.

But I don't know how you don't bet the turn here. And I can't see how you can fold to his push.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I don't know how you don't bet the turn here. And I can't see how you can fold to his push.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I have to bet the Turn (which I did), and call his push (which I did). So basically I am bound to go broke with AA on this board with the stack size of what villain has. Damn!

Min-raising is so freaking powerful in certain situations.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 PM

I get into trouble with AA here in exactly the same manner. You have a great hand, but villan is showing strength with the check min raise and additional check shove.

The problem for me is the draws, villan could simply be playing the draw so you don't want to give the free card, but all betting does is equal pot odds to have to call to the shove. It's annoying as hell.

I had a hand very similar to this yesterday live and it cost me $250. I got stacked with AA him getting QQQ and the ratio of stacks was about the same.

After thinking about it for hours, I'm inclined to simply play AA here as what it is, top pair. Villan could easily have the straight or a set of 8s or 9s. I'm thinking the money saved by folding is as good as money won.

I'm actually way behind playing AA and it counts for 40% of my total losses, because in cases like this I end up getting stacked.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After thinking about it for hours, I'm inclined to simply play AA here as what it is, top pair. Villan could easily have the straight or a set of 8s or 9s. I'm thinking the money saved by folding is as good as money won

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you suggest that we should fold in this hand? His min-raise on Flop? But we can't fold this on Flop because for sure we are losing money in the long term. Folding his raise on the blank Turn when getting 7:1? This also sounds a bit unreasonable. The thing I might do differently is to check behind the Turn for pot control. Although we give a free card to draws, we saved $$ when we are way behind.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

After thinking about it for hours, I'm inclined to simply play AA here as what it is, top pair. Villan could easily have the straight or a set of 8s or 9s. I'm thinking the money saved by folding is as good as money won

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you suggest that we should fold in this hand? His min-raise on Flop? But we can't fold this on Flop because for sure we are losing money in the long term. Folding his raise on the blank Turn when getting 7:1? This also sounds a bit unreasonable. The thing I might do differently is to check behind the Turn for pot control. Although we give a free card to draws, we saved $$ when we are way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you just gotta go weak tight. You are beaten badly by so many hands on the turn, I don't see a problem just going down for a cheap showdown.

Check the turn and call a smallish bet on the river. You are behind 77/88/tt/t9/t7/98/qj/78. You are way ahead of kk. Ahead of 77/JJ/66/QQ/jt/qt / flush draw but any of these hands have a ton of outs you have to avoid. Little FE and if they miss they may bluff out on the river with your weakenss.