Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Carlos Mortensen first to win WSOP ME and WPT Championship

this is sick, i guess i'm next
Old 04-28-2007, 10:05 PM

he feels like 4 million bucks actually
Old 04-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Ferguson finished 8th or 9th in the event in 04.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ferguson finished 9th in the event in 05.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are a number of WSOP ME winners who have a decent shot at winning a WPTCh, including D. Brunson, Chan, Hellmuth, Harrington, Seed, S. Nguyen, and Raymer. There are other strong players who won the WSOP and are not regular tournament players these days, but could win the WPTCh. There are only a few WSOP champions who are not strong enough players that they would be expected to have a reasonable shot at winning if they enter the WPTCh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you trully believe that Doyle can win such a long event considering the amount of luck involved at the final table, the lenght of the event and the amount of WPTCh he will be able to play (hopefully a lot) ?
I could give you Chan although his prime was in the 80's. For what some pros say he's not the same.

I thought about Huck Seed but he hasn't done very well in WPT events (i think he's an awesome player)

Scotty could be added to my list. He's made tons of WPT final tables and finally was able to win one so he may be able to do it.

Greg Raymer I don't wanna say he was a one hit wonder but I don't think he will ever win a WPT event (besides, he's with the WPT lawsuit like Ferguson)
Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was a historic win. He also becme the 10th player to win two WPT titles. Being the winner of the big two titles might be up there with Gus' three wins and Chan's 1987-'89 stretch amongst the great achievements in tournament poker. Felt like Carlos was being forgotten a little before this. Never again.

Carlos told me afterwards that from last year to this, Spanish enrollment at the EPT Grande Finale in Monte Carlo went from one player to twenty-two, so Spain was already exploding, but this could be huge over there. Oliver better get himself some spanish-speaking clients soon

[/ QUOTE ]

I did congratulate FullTiltPoker.NET for signing Juan Carlos Mortensen (who is represented by Brian Balsbaugh/Poker Royalty) last year.

Carlos is obviously in line for a promotion at FullTiltPoker.NET to "Team Full Tilt" if Carlos wants the extra responsibility of being a primary spokesman for a "Tier 1" online poker "school".

--

Anticipating the explosion about to take place in Spain, I signed a Castellan (Madrid dialect) Spanish-speaking client in Cecilia Reyes (Carlos Mortensen's ex wife) a month ago.

Cecilia, who has 2 WSOP final tables to her credit (best finish: 4th place at 2005 Ladies Event won by Jennifer Tilly) plus a TV appearance at WPT Ladies Night III (her interview was excellent as it displayed her outgoing and cheerful personality), will be useful in Spain as well, but for an online poker "school" other than Full Tilt.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This was a historic win. He also becme the 10th player to win two WPT titles. Being the winner of the big two titles might be up there with Gus' three wins and Chan's 1987-'89 stretch amongst the great achievements in tournament poker. Felt like Carlos was being forgotten a little before this. Never again.

Carlos told me afterwards that from last year to this, Spanish enrollment at the EPT Grande Finale in Monte Carlo went from one player to twenty-two, so Spain was already exploding, but this could be huge over there. Oliver better get himself some spanish-speaking clients soon

[/ QUOTE ]

I did congratulate FullTiltPoker.NET for signing Juan Carlos Mortensen (who is represented by Brian Balsbaugh/Poker Royalty) last year.

Carlos is obviously in line for a promotion at FullTiltPoker.NET to "Team Full Tilt" if Carlos wants the extra responsibility of being a primary spokesman for a "Tier 1" online poker "school".

--

Anticipating the explosion about to take place in Spain, I signed a Castellan (Madrid dialect) Spanish-speaking client in Cecilia Reyes (Carlos Mortensen's ex wife) a month ago.

Cecilia, who has 2 WSOP final tables to her credit (best finish: 4th place at 2005 Ladies Event won by Jennifer Tilly) plus a TV appearance at WPT Ladies Night III (her interview was excellent as it displayed her outgoing and cheerful personality), will be useful in Spain as well, but for an online poker "school" other than Full Tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did they split up? Carlos just won $4million...... what a bad beat for the ex!
Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This was a historic win. He also becme the 10th player to win two WPT titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

this stat seems mindblowing

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is counting a "Battle of Champions" win as a WPT win, so that creates three more "two-time wpt champions" (Rose, Shulman, Benyamine) than there would be naturally just counting open events. (Tuan won a BoC, but still had 2 other wins anyway)

EDIT: Actually, I can't figure out how Gary arrived at 10. I'm (extremely bored and) looking at the Hendon Mob's list, and if you count BoC and Invitational wins (which adds Barry G), then it's 12, neither and it's 8, and there's no combination I can see that's ends up with 10. Eh, whatev.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:04 AM

So how much does he have left after paying off his debts? Also, was he staked for this?
Old 04-29-2007, 04:46 AM

if people/companies are looking to add a strong spanish player to a poker team I believe a great player is Raul "el toro" Paez , whos game i respect alot and believe could soon take off....