Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: flop small set faces raise on flop - push or call?

[ QUOTE ]
my standard open raise with a big hand is 4bb. but if there is one limper then it's 5. 2 or three limpers i add 2 or 3bb. when i 3 bet it's 2 and a half times the raise.

but i will raise 3bb with pps and scs sometimes just to build a pot should i hit and also to take it down if noone else is interested. it also allows you to fire a c bet if you want.

do you advocate not varying the size of raises?

i also limp kk and aa (and sometimes others) early on to mix it up (although only about 40% of the time)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I fully recommend varying the sizes of raises. I don't do it nearly often enough because I 12 table, and it's out of bone-idle lazyness. But at least I'm honest about that.

However, if you are going to vary you have to do it right, and I think a smaller raise with a hand like 44 is a bad idea.

Basically, you are hoping for one of three things:
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Everybody folds pre-flop
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] You get called by exactly one player, who has high unpaired cards or a middle pair. He misses the flop and folds to a c-bet.
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] You get called at least one player and flop a set.

My point is basically:
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Raising less than usual encourages someone to reraise you
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]It encourages multiple callers, and c-betting into multiple opponents oop is -ve
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]It's hard to get value out of a set oop if nobody else has an overpair.

So I think this is a bad place to raise less than usual.

For the record, I think that the argument that you should never vary your raises so people can't get information on you in a terrible one. You should never play the same hand the same way all the time anyway, and by varying your raises you can manipulate how large a pot you are playing for. When done right, you are supplying a tiny amount of information in return for pot control.

Having said that, getting the right balance is really hard, and most people use the information excuse as a reason not to put the effort in. As I say, at least I'm honest about being lazy.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but i will raise 3bb with pps and scs sometimes just to build a pot should i hit and also to take it down if noone else is interested. it also allows you to fire a c bet if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't spot this before - I think raising medium scs UTG is a much bigger leak that raising low pps.

Do you use pokertracker?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:36 AM

sorry, just to clarify i only do this with pps in early and mid. i only start playing scs in late. yes i do use tracker.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can do what you do if you think not enough people will notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I think 100NL is the borderline between people noticing these things and not. Any higher and people will generally notice, any lower and your fine. 100NL depends on the table.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry, just to clarify i only do this with pps in early and mid. i only start playing scs in late. yes i do use tracker.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I misunderstood. I have no real problem with a 3bb opening raise in middle/late position, as long as you mix up it up.