Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Hero Professor In Hell Right Now

[ QUOTE ]
doesnt the old test say when u die thts it, no afterlife nor resurrection?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of offending some, let's invent a separate but nearly identical professor.

This professor committed a rape a week before the attack. He made the exact same heroic effort with regard only for the well-being of his students, except for whatever reason this time he survives. He is then put in jail shortly thereafter. I don't think very many people would be outraged at his jailing despite his heroism or Holocaust-survivor status.

In fact, I think the above professor is a useful illustration of what the "conservative" Christians are trying to explain in these discussions which is that when a rule is broken there's a consequence, a penalty to be paid and how "good" of a person you are doesn't change that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its only offensive because these same sorts of people tend to invent lots of silly rules and then try to enforce them by punishment.

I suppose god might be offended by them as well but he can look after himself.

chez
Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of offending some, let's invent a separate but nearly identical professor.

This professor committed a rape a week before the attack. He made the exact same heroic effort with regard only for the well-being of his students, except for whatever reason this time he survives. He is then put in jail shortly thereafter. I don't think very many people would be outraged at his jailing despite his heroism or Holocaust-survivor status.

In fact, I think the above professor is a useful illustration of what the "conservative" Christians are trying to explain in these discussions which is that when a rule is broken there's a consequence, a penalty to be paid and how "good" of a person you are doesn't change that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post beautifully demonstrates why religion is the root of much, if not most, evil. (Actually, irrational-ism is more fundamentally the root of most evil, and religion is merely the most common manifestation.)
Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This post beautifully demonstrates why religion is the root of much, if not most, evil. (Actually, irrational-ism is more fundamentally the root of most evil, and religion is merely the most common manifestation.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are equating a rapist with someone who doesn't share in your particular brand of religion. Quite frankly, your beliefs are sickening. The fact that you are so brainwashed by your "faith" that you do not see how evil your beliefs are is remarkable to me.

Do you honestly believe that a Jewish man who sacrifices his life to save 20 others, is less likely to get into heaven than a rapist who calls himself a Christian? Never mind, I already know your answer.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:00 AM

<font color="blue">In fact, I think the above professor is a useful illustration of what the "conservative" Christians are trying to explain in these discussions which is that when a rule is broken there's a consequence, a penalty to be paid and how "good" of a person you are doesn't change that fact.
</font>

The problem is that Christians are guessing, or at best, using human interpretation and morality to speak for God and come up with these iron clad "rules". In the process, they alienate all others. An even bigger problem (for them), is that if there really IS a God, they themselves, could easily be wrong about the "rules" and suffer a worse fate than that which they wish upon others (or if you don't like the term "wish", then that fate which they "anticipate" for others).

This is clear to everyone except those blinded by their own faith.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This professor's great-great-great grandfather committed a rape a week before the attack. He made the exact same heroic effort with regard only for the well-being of his students, except for whatever reason this time he survives. He is then put in jail shortly thereafter. I don't think very many people would be outraged at his jailing despite his heroism or Holocaust-survivor status.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this what you meant?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that every Christian seems to have their own scenario for who gets into heaven and who doesn't, is a pretty good reason to doubt the bible as the ultimate authority on anything.

It seems fairly obvious to me that people are making it all up as they go along. Exactly what they make up, is a function of how unjust they can stomach their god being.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than get outraged by this analogy like some others have, I will simply point out that the flaw in your anology is that the rapist realizes he committed a crime. This professor honestly believes he is following the "rules".

For some reason, you, Not Ready, and others, evidently seem not to grasp that many people truly don't believe that Jesus was anything but a man. In spite of the fact that science and probabality argue for that conclusion. You guys talk like disbelievers are knowingly breaking the rules when they "reject" Jesus. As if psychology is involved (which for some, admittedly it is) rather than simple thought.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 PM

David,

Assuming your four stipulations are generally correct and this professor led a good life (following the golden rule, etc) I rate his chances of eternal salvation to be quite high. (Hence us Catholics being, in your words, "less nuts")