Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Attention whores who take advantage of horrible events (VT -relate

AZK,

No, I agree, I just suck at articulating why.

After 09/11 everyone was patriotic. Flags everywhere. FDNY and NYPD hats and shirts, etc. While this in and of itself isn't a bad thing, the fact that many people do it to "symbolize" their empathy is weak. Sometimes people trying to do their "best" are actually doing their worst in disguise. And of course you can't call them to the carpet for it, because how could you? But they'll think they're being "good people" by doing these things, a minimum token effort to make them feel better about themselves.

I remember going to a D'Backs game not long after 09/11. There were a bunch of flag vendors. That's right, all they sold were flags in various sizes and material. This was obviously feeding the zealous, newfound patriots, but even worse these people had a clear profit motive. Go to Old America or wherever they get these things, buy in bulk, sell for twice as much money outside a stadium, profit. Some people can say that's just capitalism or whatever, I saw it as pathetic ambulance-chasing.

As an aside, I think that the sports tradition of playing the national anthem before sporting events (and even more annoyingly, "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch of baseball games) is another pointless tribute that needs to go. Would anyone really care? Are we More American because we sat through the anthem? But like restoring DUI legal limits to a more reasonable standard, to argue this side makes you a Bad Person.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:05 PM

I personally think that opinion's of this nature should be spoke about privately and not put on a public forum. This makes you just as worse for pointing out these people.

It comes down to "If you dont have anything nice to say or add then dont say anything at all".

Imagine if you took the 3 minutes to write this post and spent it with someone that was affected by this horrendous nightmare, you might of actually helped someone grieve.

common sense???

fyc

You are absolutely wrong, and would appear to have very little understanding of the human condition. Beyond that, on what basis would you even presume that someone has no connection whatsoever to the events that took place at VT?

What happens every day in Baghdad now is a tragedy. That does not minimize one bit what happened in Blacksburg. Or Phuket. Or Columbine. Or NYC. Or anywhere else.

I'm actually pretty fed up with people who tell other people that expressing their support for those who have lost loved ones, that their behavior is wrong or inappropriate.

[ QUOTE ]
meleader2 sent me a PM that i think is perfect:

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Im in 100% agreement with you, and was (not truly) shocked when my g/f was mad at me for not being concerned.

only sending this cuz i couldn't post it. also, FWIW, on the SAME day, 170 people in baghdad died (let alone everyday) and noone even mentioned it here. it is a small link at the bottom of a CNN page.

we're desensitized to violence, but when it happens on US soil suddenly it's OMG and NO WAI.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I am talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is human nature, it is kind of ridiculous to even mention baghdad, you think anyone in any other country gives it (vt) more than a blurb, or an article? no. People worry about stuff that directly affects them, the more it affects them, the more feelings they have.

VT murder- didnt affect me at all, I am sorry it happened but otherwise my day to day life is unaffected

Katrina- I love NO, been there a bunch, had displaced victims at friends houses, and did some work w/ kids at my HS, it was a much more personal thing

9/11- a large scale terror attack on US citizens pretty much is personal for all of us

etc etc
Old 04-18-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flattening of affect is one of the early signs of psychosis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried. my parents have always told me I'm emotionally distant and a cold fish for most things.

[ QUOTE ]
i tried to post in thread, it got locked, then posted in VT thread.

here's my post.

I saw one facebook group called "In Loving Memory of Stack", the marching band/RA that was killed. I then see that the person who started the group goes to HS in CA, and apparently doesn't even know this person. I think mourning publicly is fine, and even posting wishes of condolences and prayers are fine. there are, however, some people that are saying "look at me! look how compassionate i am!". empathy is great, real emotion displayed publicly is fine, but these people suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you *truly* know, by factual evidence, that this person doesn't have a sibling who may go to VT and live on Stack's floor, or something?

No?

Then don't be so presumptuous.

I have no problem with people empathizing with victims of any tragedy, as long as it's genuine, and not something they're doing just because it seems like the sensitive or cool thing to do. Lots of this Facebook group stuff is just that, at least to me---just going along with the group when you really don't care enough to do anything at all about the situation.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flattening of affect is one of the early signs of psychosis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried. my parents have always told me I'm emotionally distant and a cold fish for most things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please post your one act plays for our enjoyment. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:07 PM

AZK,

Totally agree. I've been annoyed by stuff like

1- the guy on here who tried to have a "moment of silence" the other day.

2- some stupid call for blogs to have a similar event.

I shouldn't have to show out that I'm sad that 30+ people were murdered, that should be [censored] evident by the fact that I'm human. It's a very sad thing, and it hits us all in different ways. Some people will cry, some people won't, but that's cool, 'cause that's just raw emotion.

This other nonsense, on some "look at me I care" [censored], I have a really hard time dealing with. I'm sure there's some person who honestly feels better because they set their default myspace photo to the VT logo for the week, and I suppose if you're that goofy, do it. Most folks in that spot though, just trying to share in, 'cause company loves misery.

David Cross has a good bit on this regarding people who worked in NY, NY in Vegas co-opting 9/11 for their own personal grief.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 PM

this is the same as people who, on this message board, who do not "live within 50 miles of someone who had a cousin who had a friend who had a dog that might know someone that might have gone there" telling us they are "crying" after hearing the news. seriously? i guess i'll never understand that kind of empathy.