Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Late night meal

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from being energy dense, what is so beneficial about fats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Healthy fats have been shown to boost testosterone, burn more fat (increase metabolism), are a great source of energy, possibly increase intelligence, prevent heart disease, and help fight cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strictly for putting on muscle, if you can get the same calories from protein and carbs, would that be ideal? It sounds like a lot of people here don't think so...and I'm not suggesting a zero fat diet or anything, but most of the literature I've seen seems to focus on protein and carbs as the main components for muscle growth and then mentions some of the benefits of fats as a side note. (Just trying to get a better understanding of fats role...)

[/ QUOTE ]

The Zone diet is the latest thing, and at least anecdotaly has worked very well according to the crossfit guys. It has a macronnutrient breakdown of 40/30/30 protein, fat, carbs and if you are trying to gain mass they reccomend adding fat not protein or carbs. Endurance athletes need a higher percentage of carbs, but for pretty much anyone else I'd reccomend something similar to zone.

Fats are extremely important, just stay away from transfat or too much saturated fat. Eat lots of nuts, olive oil, and less of red meats and milk. For those trying to put on lbm fats are great because they are more than twice as dense calorie wise than protein or carbs. A couple handfuls of sunflower seeds probably won't fill you up, but will easily be hundreds of calories.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Strictly for putting on muscle, if you can get the same calories from protein and carbs, would that be ideal? It sounds like a lot of people here don't think so...and I'm not suggesting a zero fat diet or anything, but most of the literature I've seen seems to focus on protein and carbs as the main components for muscle growth and then mentions some of the benefits of fats as a side note. (Just trying to get a better understanding of fats role...)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you should always under any circumstance consume healthy fats. Don't you think energy and increased testosterone are good for building muscle? Also decreased inflammation from speeds up recovery.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:08 PM

Since I've been reading T-nation, I've been having the following meal before bed most nights: Half a serving of chocolate whey, 1/2 a cup of fat-free cottage cheese, and 1 TBSP of natural peanut butter. Mixed together. Around 200 calories and really effing tasty.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Half a serving of chocolate whey, 1/2 a cup of fat-free cottage cheese, and 1 TBSP of natural peanut butter. Mixed together. Around 200 calories and really effing tasty.

[/ QUOTE ] this sounds disgusting.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 PM

can someone explain how I can distinguish healthy fat from unhealthy fat when looking at the labels? Or must I research the food online (the label will not reveal if the fat is healthy)?

I am not talking about candy, or junk food labels, I am talking about milk, eggs, chicken, trail mix, protein/energy bars, etc...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Half a serving of chocolate whey, 1/2 a cup of fat-free cottage cheese, and 1 TBSP of natural peanut butter. Mixed together. Around 200 calories and really effing tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

i use about 1.5 scoops of choc or vanilla metabolic drive + 1/4 cup cottage cheese + 1tbsp natural pb + a bit of cinammon + some ice >>>>>> soooooo goood....
Old 04-18-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it does, believe me - it took me awhile to even want to try it. But the cottage cheese is basically just a plain, creamy thickener with no taste when mixed in. Tastes like a peanut butter cup. I'm not going to say you'll love it, but I recommend giving it a try.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

add a splash of milk for consistency
Old 04-19-2007, 02:37 AM

Ya, cottage cheese has no taste in shakes, in my experience.

My bedtime snack is wheat thins and cottage cheese. Not many people eat straight cottage cheese because of the gross consistency and texture, but it is actually pretty good.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, cottage cheese has no taste in shakes, in my experience.

My bedtime snack is wheat thins and cottage cheese. Not many people eat straight cottage cheese because of the gross consistency and texture, but it is actually pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ] Yea Ive been eating 1 cup of straight cottage cheese and then 2 tbs of natural pb before bed. I guess I can try this shake deal with the cottage cheese.