3k-5k 7 8.86%
5k-10k 10 12.66%
10k-25k 0 0%
25k+ (Please explain) 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: I am not above cheating

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of guys that I know that are in my program cheat and it puzzles me because they're just going to come out [censored] engineers when they could've redirected they're focus if cheating wasn't an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

While trusting polls is probably worthless, I have heard that over 50% of engineering students have cheated in one form or another (homework, exam etc.)

Just playing devil's advocate here; suppose you were about to fail and it could cost you a scholarship and you casually cheated. (as in look over shoulder copy someone's homework, whatever) Would you still cheat? I bet that a good percentage of students would, especially if they felt the class to be fairly worthless.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 AM

I cheat all the time in classes I dont care about or like, but I have never cheated on a test in a class within my major (although I do copy homework all the time, I'm not sure if that counts).

But I find it was a lot easier to cheat in high school than in college.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of guys that I know that are in my program cheat and it puzzles me because they're just going to come out [censored] engineers when they could've redirected they're focus if cheating wasn't an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

While trusting polls is probably worthless, I have heard that over 50% of engineering students have cheated in one form or another (homework, exam etc.)

Just playing devil's advocate here; suppose you were about to fail and it could cost you a scholarship and you casually cheated. (as in look over shoulder copy someone's homework, whatever) Would you still cheat? I bet that a good percentage of students would, especially if they felt the class to be fairly worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite Engineering majors, but here's a funny story from my high school. The Psych classes were doing anonymous surveys about cheating and found that 75% of 'regular' kids in my high school had cheated at some point, while 98% of the National Honor Society students had cheated (All but 2 students in NHS, I was not one of the two). High school was ~2500 students, found that kinda comical.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with cheating in Microbiology or History or something not in my major since I will never need it and it will never matter. On the other hand, I am a freshman so I have only taken two courses in my major, but have yet to cheat in either.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is the "I would cheat if I could, but I'm scared to get caught" option?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly didn't think of that. I suck.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the "you gotta do what you gotta do" line is infuriating. WTF. and the fact that a bunch of people voted for that option annoys me even more. WTF WTF WTF

"you gotta do what you gotta do." In other words, "I messed up and now I'm gonna cheat so that everything will work out in my favor."

I feel like that line almost has a positive connotation in people's minds when really that's [censored] terrible justification.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down Sally, go back to Church.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're such a [censored] idiot. that's all i really have to say.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM

I could not pick option four since I have cheated before. I don't like cheating and don't ever go out of my way to do it. Last night I had a test in a room where the teacher was not in the room the entire time and I did not cheat at all. But every once and a while I have looked at another sheet. Also when I have tests to take at home I have cheated.

If you don't count cheating on take home tests I have cheated less than ten times in my life.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Your scum, you should be kicked out of college.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:50 PM

FWIW (Pinched verbatim from here):

In City Slickers Ed (Bruno Kirby) is trying to cheer Mitch up and convince him that having an adulterous affair would spice up Mitch's life and make him happier. Ed tries to convince Mitch that it's possible to do such a thing in total secrecy and no one would ever know. Ed even suggests that an alien could visit earth, have sex with Mitch and disappear forever.

ED: "No one will ever know. You're telling me you wouldn't do it?"

Mitch cracks a joke and says: "Look Ed, it wouldn't make it all right just because Barbara didn't know. I'd know. And I wouldn't like myself. That's all."

Mitch realized what Ed didn't, that everything that happens to his character physically affects his character psychologically.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing really wrong with cheating as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the people who are paying money to get educated AND get a competetive GPA for the real world. Your (and others') cheating diminishes the legitimate effort non-cheaters put in when it comes time for applications to grad school and the job market.

Other than that though, yeah I guess you're right. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I think I have a bigger problem with people that don't see what is wrong with cheating than I do the actual cheating itself. At least be self-aware enough to realize that you're a hack.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 PM

I cheat...but kind of backwards. i write papers for others, and i have no problem with it. (obvi i get paid for it). i dont feel bad about it.

I've cheated on a few things in school...but I dont rly anymore. i have gotten to the point where i suck it up and take the loss if i screw up. I havnt found myself in a situation where i wud need to cheat cuz the grade is that important yet.

and for those that think cheating doesnt hurt anyone, i hate to tell u, but ur wrong. but to each their own...same destination, different path