Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: No hand shuffling at the \'B\'

I really don't understand why everyone loves auto shufflers so much. I actually think they tend to slow most games down rather than speed them up. I am nowhere near a lightning fast dealer, however I have timed myself several times and it takes me less than 15 seconds to scoop the previous hand, wash and shuffle, shuffle, strip, shuffle and start dealing the next hand.

Factor in problems with the auto shuffler and I really can't see these things speeding the game up by any significant amount.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM

"Fear of a mechanic" was not a concern before the invention of the machine. I see no reason to believe the threat of a mechanic has increased since then.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Fear of a mechanic" was not a concern before the invention of the machine. I see no reason to believe the threat of a mechanic has increased since then.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty tough to stack a deck when you have to wash the deck with a camera watching.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand why everyone loves auto shufflers so much. I actually think they tend to slow most games down rather than speed them up. I am nowhere near a lightning fast dealer, however I have timed myself several times and it takes me less than 15 seconds to scoop the previous hand, wash and shuffle, shuffle, strip, shuffle and start dealing the next hand.

Factor in problems with the auto shuffler and I really can't see these things speeding the game up by any significant amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you gain about 15 seconds a hand if you use a machine.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you would think that a mechanic would head for rooms that still hand shuffle rather than staying at one that has shuffler.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if you move instantaneously, but realistically, maybe 5 seconds as you still have to scoop the cards up, press the button, wait for the deck to pop up, cut and square the deck...
Old 04-05-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a reason either; however, I am guessing they do see a reason to implement this rule.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:18 PM

youtalkfunny --

[ QUOTE ]
"Fear of a mechanic" was not a concern before the invention of the machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't?

tastim --

As far as I know, all empirical evidence suggests that autoshufflers speed the games up significantly.

--Nate
Old 04-05-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I have gotten from the dealers is that it is to protect the integrity of the game. It wasn’t that long ago that every room in the city hand shuffled exclusively so that argument seems pretty weak to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible alternative translation: 'We have a bunch of dealers who have worked most of their "poker careers" using ShuffleMasters and watching them shuffle by hand is not a pretty sight.'
Old 04-05-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if you move instantaneously, but realistically, maybe 5 seconds as you still have to scoop the cards up, press the button, wait for the deck to pop up, cut and square the deck...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wait for the cards to pop up you are doing it wrong. Push the button, scoop up the cards while the other deck comes out of the table. Anyone that claims the machines slow down the game just don't know what they are talking about. And even 5 seconds a hand that let's you pick up an extra hand per down. {20 hands a down is 90 seconds per hand, saving 5 secs a hand gets you an extra hand}.