Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: moving to 400NL

Don't force yourself to play at a certain vpip/pfr.

I think you can do very well at pretty much all stakes by playing a fundamentally strong, solid TAG game. Go with what you feel comfy with, just remember to play your best at all times.

$15k is fine. If you feel worried about the money, put a loss stop. Say you will drop down to nl200 for a while after dropping 5-6 BIs at nl400. You know you have a very solid roll for nl200 which you know you beat so you have no fear of going busto, right?

I'd like to say limp/cold call less pre-flop though if we're gonna be look at the stats. Get your pfr closer to your vpip no matter what style you decide to play.

GL!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:44 PM

You'll find at 400NL that you often no longer have the implied odds against LAG pf raisers to flop a set with your PPs.

Sometimes against these players, you are better off reraising.

Cheers!

Ojo_Rojo
Old 03-24-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whether you play 19/12 or 24/16 has minimal effect on your winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt this. Under the assumption that everyone you're playing is a donkey, it might be true. But if your opponents are a little tougher, you'll have a hard time playing that nitty

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft, 400 nl is not as super tough as you are making it seem
Old 03-24-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between your avg. 1/2 game and avg. 2/4 game is night and day. Unless you exercise very good game selection you're going to end up sitting with more solid regulars than random donkeys at most 2/4 tables just because the player pool is a lot smaller. IMO there are only a small handful of 1/2 players where it would actually make sense to avoid, whereas at 2/4 there are many. Not neccessarily because they're good, but just because they simply are not all that bad. I would say that the step from 1/2 -> 2/4 is the most significant one (in terms of MSNL), because there's a huge overlap between 2/4, 3/6, and 5/10 players. So as you move up past 2/4 you're usually playing the same players, just for more money.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:31 PM

This gap also comes from the fact that a lot of former 5/10 or 3/6 players are now playing 2/4 , that makes the games a lot tougher.

For your purpose a stop loss seems a good idea, but I would set it a like 10 BI otherwise you will have to drop down too fast just because you get unlucky.

mfg dia
Old 03-24-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between your avg. 1/2 game and avg. 2/4 game is night and day. Unless you exercise very good game selection you're going to end up sitting with more solid regulars than random donkeys at most 2/4 tables just because the player pool is a lot smaller. IMO there are only a small handful of 1/2 players where it would actually make sense to avoid, whereas at 2/4 there are many. Not neccessarily because they're good, but just because they simply are not all that bad. I would say that the step from 1/2 -> 2/4 is the most significant one (in terms of MSNL), because there's a huge overlap between 2/4, 3/6, and 5/10 players. So as you move up past 2/4 you're usually playing the same players, just for more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with most of this...
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference between your avg. 1/2 game and avg. 2/4 game is night and day.

[/ QUOTE ]
The skill difference between 1/2 and 2/4 is the biggest difficulty gap between two limits that I have ever seen.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:39 PM

35/30 is more fun
Old 03-24-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with most of this...

[/ QUOTE ]
I also agree with this, also the one thing youll notice about 2/4 in comparison to 1/2 is that the swings are a lot more due to the good players and there lag styles. In some situations its plus ev to stack off with JJ on a 10 high board against some of these players where at 1/2 its basically unheard of.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:56 PM

i've recently moved up too to 1/2 nl. i used to have a stay away kill the fish attitude. at 400nl you have to play back at the regs once in a while to establish yourself agains them. personally, i think many regs are not that good. like another post said, they are just not that bad. You will end up getting in to a lot of high variance prelfop coinflips with many of them. they will push any AK, AQ to 1010+ type pf hands. your wins will have a lot to do with how to extract some value from these regs.