Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Why do we hate donkeys?

we tend to focus on the times we lose the hand then the other times we win it which is natural, you must just realize that these guys are where the dead money comes from
Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM

Your question should be rephrased, "Why do I hate donkeys?"

Might it have something to do with not understanding their (lack of) game and because of this, you perceive their play as being unpredictable? The result is that you get frustrated when your bets/raises get no respect and then the donkeys get lucky with a weak hand. This, in turn, affects your ego, especially if it happens enough in a short timespan. You wind up angry because a few donkeys made you look bad at the poker table where you were so convinced (perhaps rightfully so, even) that you are a superior player.

Hint...divorce your ego from your poker game and stop hating donkeys. Do this and soon you will realize that poker needs more donkeys. Donkeys are to poker what gasoline is to automobiles.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:35 PM

First off, I will say that I DO know where the money comes from. However, in all honesty and maybe this is where the ego comes in, I get way more satisfaction from having maybe 2 donks at the table but the rest better players. I think it is more satisfying and sometimes easier to beat the better players.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I will say that I DO know where the money comes from. However, in all honesty and maybe this is where the ego comes in, I get way more satisfaction from having maybe 2 donks at the table but the rest better players. I think it is more satisfying and sometimes easier to beat the better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

its ego taking over the table. I suggest you start taking notes when u see a donkey make stupid plays and be happy about it. I used to get personal when I get called down with 3rd pair on a perfect bluff but then I realized that I was the donkey for bluffing someone who might call down aith any piece. Remember what aba said, poker is 90% playing your good hands ei value betting etcetc and about 5/10% bluffing by goin with your reads.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 PM

"I think it is more satisfying and sometimes easier to beat the better players."

So here you admit that winning a hand of poker, to you, is more than just winning the money in the pot. For you there is an element of pride attached to each hand you play. You are certainly not alone here. Lots of players feel this way about their game.

Furthermore, this would explain why you "hate" donkeys. You don't think much of playing against them. You obviously think they are easy to beat and do not derive much (if any) satisfaction in beating them; and you get upset if they get lucky and draw out on you.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM

I try not to hate anyone at the table, although it's inevitable. I'm usually not hating the donkeys, though. It's usually everyone else that I cant stand.

1) Floor people who think they are above everybody
2) Poor losers, table coaches, scowling "go for a walkers"
3) Arrogant players who respect noone "You're all...blah"
4) Tight trapping no-action nut-peddling players "You want to see my nuts?"
5) People who speak in angry tones to other players "You c/r me again and I'm gonna come after you."
6) People so angry when you ask to borrow their pen they refuse because you just beat them in a hand.

With so many other disagreeable pricks, why hate the donkeys?

-J
Old 03-20-2007, 05:28 PM

From reading people think deeper than I do, I read maximum value plummets at poor player number six.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that I get soooo angry while playing someone that hasn't a clue! I should actually be happy while playing a donk because in the long run that is who I get the money from. Yet everytime they suck out after putting their money in way behind it really {censored} pisses me off.

Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know and don't care. But please keep posting because I love that avatar! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you have no real grasp of what poker is really all about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the quality post!

[/ QUOTE ]

his post is the best answer in the thread... learn to understand the game more, and you probably wont get as angry...thats what worked for me.

oh, and instead of getting pissed off, try to figure out WHY this opponent made this play, or why he thought his hand was good. then exploit that weakness and own him.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is more satisfying and sometimes easier to beat the better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you find it easier to beat better players than bad ones, you have a leak you need to work on, namely exploiting bad players. You're missing out on lots of easy money.