Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Good comeback for tip pressure?

[ QUOTE ]
When I am on the floor and someone suggests to another player not to tip or not to tip so much they have to go, I see no real reason why the same shouldn't apply here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you boot the guy in the OP?

Of course not. Someone shilling for your dealers by badgering players into tipping more is fine. Both extremes are out of line.

I will wager he jerk in the OP was an off duty dealer or floor.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 AM

Tell him he's welcome to tip the dealer on my winning hands if he doesn't think mine are sufficient.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I am on the floor and someone suggests to another player not to tip or not to tip so much they have to go, I see no real reason why the same shouldn't apply here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you boot the guy in the OP?

Of course not. Someone shilling for your dealers by badgering players into tipping more is fine. Both extremes are out of line.

I will wager he jerk in the OP was an off duty dealer or floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never had this come up in my rooms. I am guessing one of the reasons is I am pretty sure any dealer that has dealt on my shift if they get out and play they know this is not acceptable. I commented on this because I had a very specific incident in mind where a regular player suggested to a player that wanted to know how much she should tip "not to worry about it, they make plenty."
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 AM

Yeah, this is weird.

Dealers playing in their own room (me included) usually only bring up the "you know, you should tip the dealer" line when the winning player is stiffing the dealer. Me, I do it in jest, dunno about others.

But to tip more when the guy's already tipping... meh.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I am on the floor and someone suggests to another player not to tip or not to tip so much they have to go

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypothetical situation:
Incredibly rude dealer who is watching the football game on TV makes 4th mistake of their down and doesn't give a crap.

After dealer leaves I say to a guy next to me who I'm friendly with, "I don't know about you, but there's no way I'm ever tipping that guy if he continues to act like that when I'm around."
I say it loud enough that a few other people at the table are either nodding or saying, "No kidding...What a bad attitude. Don't feel bad not tipping someone like that."

Would I get thrown out?
Would you throw out everyone at the table who voiced agreement?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I am on the floor and someone suggests to another player not to tip or not to tip so much they have to go

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypothetical situation:
Incredibly rude dealer who is watching the football game on TV makes 4th mistake of their down and doesn't give a crap.

After dealer leaves I say to a guy next to me who I'm friendly with, "I don't know about you, but there's no way I'm ever tipping that guy if he continues to act like that when I'm around."
I say it loud enough that a few other people at the table are either nodding or saying, "No kidding...What a bad attitude. Don't feel bad not tipping someone like that."

Would I get thrown out?
Would you throw out everyone at the table who voiced agreement?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. That is a lot different than what I had in mind.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:21 AM

I was playing at Excal a couple years ago when one of my least favorite dealers sits. A couple hands in the dealer says something or does something a little outta line, somewhat standard for this particularly ill-tempered dealer. Player at the table says fairly loudly "this is the worst dealer in the city and the only one I never tip--not a penny, not ever--I keep hoping if he doesn't get tipped he'll eventually quit." Dealer finishes his down. A couple minutes later the floor comes over and takes that player aside for a couple minutes. Player comes back saying "I've just been told if I ever say anything negative about any dealer or the Excalibur ever again I will be thrown out and ordered never to return."

I've never quite figured out how I feel about that. The player was being stunningly rude, but the dealer also was kinda deserving of it. I was impressed that the dealer handled that diss so professionally, though, holding his tongue until he finished the down--he actually won back a few points in my book for that.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:28 AM

And then rats out the customer? Snitches like a little girl?

Figures that this would be an MGM Mirage property. "The customer comes last." Being thrown out of the Excalibur would be a badge of distinction.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, $1 is pretty standard regardless of limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Figures that this would be an MGM Mirage property.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being it was a "couple years ago", it could very well have been before the Mandalay/MGM merger.

I think I could probably name exactly which dealer he is referring to, funny thing. There are two tip hustling/bad attitude type dealers at Excal that I know of. One is a woman and the other is a man, and I guarantee they are still there (have been there as far back as I can remember).

Doesn't really bother me. It's the Excal. You get what you pay for.