Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: pf decision vs straddle

I'd fold. Give me KTo or QJs and it's 3 town.

UTG is loose and will probably go too far with his hand. If you 3bet you'll probably have to keep firing with 8-high.

No one else is in. You can get rid of BB but most likely you'll be 3-way with a LAG and a phish. Your fold equity is low and this is a speculative hand.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3 town

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 PM

You are investing a lot of chips preflop with a speculative hand against two opponents who are likely to go to showdown.

I don't believe that you will be able to either make the best hand or make your opponents laydown often enough to make this threebet pay.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 PM

A loose passive straddler is taking this to showdown too often for me to want to put 3 bets in preflop. Playing the player doesn't help me against this type of player. Can someone with pokerstove run this against a random hand? I can't believe it's ahead.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A loose passive straddler is taking this to showdown too often for me to want to put 3 bets in preflop. Playing the player doesn't help me against this type of player. Can someone with pokerstove run this against a random hand? I can't believe it's ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its about 50/50 but we have position and initiative. I'm pretty sure 3 betting becomes +EV in this spot. If LAG is always coming along, we have a slight edge. If he isn't, we get it HU a good percentage of the time.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM

Well, your original facts are unusual. Loose passive AND a straddler. Not your typical combo. Particularly on the Button I would 3 bet. It's a weird blind steal. We take the same shot at 2 random blind hands all the time. Mathematically, how much of a difference does it make to blind steal against 3 random hands instead of 2? I do not know. But I sure like my position.

This hand is going to "devolve" into a gambler's hand. You may have up to 3 people coming out of blinds at you. Your reading ability will be limited. At the same time, you will have absolute position the entire hand and you have the freedom to maybe take a free card or raise, because they do not know if you are playing position or if you do have a good hand.

Ready to gambool? 3 bet. Not ready, fold PF. Small stakes, I like to gambool on this one.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

You people not 3towning this are weak nits. Good hand, the ability to represent a lot of hands on a lot of boards, position, momentum, and the chance to isolate someone who's elected to post a straddle. If you don't like that spot you should play lower or take up a different hobby, like watching TV.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I dunno, this seems like a spot to play the player.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is, which is why you should fold 87 here.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We certainly don't HAVE to go to the river, especially against a loose passive.

[/ QUOTE ]
...which is why we fold, rather than invest three bets before the flop with 8-high when we have exactly 0% fold equity.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like that spot you should play lower or take up a different hobby, like watching TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

goofball,

what about those that don't care to watch television? any suggestions?