Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: sat in on termination this morning

It's a lot easier when the guy is an ass or totally incompetent. It's really hard with a nice guy who's trying hard and just doesn't have the skills, especially if you've personally bonded with them and tried to help them handle the job.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:19 PM

Yeah. Someone where I work now was told to fire someone who has a host of problems, and he keeps putting it off.

This girl is very personable, and has a public contact job, so that works. But she also sometimes gets a little distracted. I'll explain why.

She's uneducated. She is the sole support of her family at practically a minimum wage job. That includes her dad, who just had a stroke, her infant brother who was just born, and her mom, who has to give both the new baby and her husband the constant care they require. They're a poor immigrant family with no real savings. Actually, I think she has a brother of about 12, too.

The girl herself came to work a few weeks ago and had to leave to the hospital half an hour later; she was vomiting constantly. On the way to the hospital, she barfed some more. The doctors gave her a bunch of pills and tests and said she might have to have an operation in a couple of days.

She just bought a car that has very expensive insurance, since she's really young. It has over 100k miles on it, but her payments with insurance are still $500-ish per month. If she doesn't get another job immediately, doubtless the car will be seized and she will be left with just the debt, not a car to get to work with.

She's a little moody at work occasionally, rather than being her usual perky, cheerful self. She has no idea what's coming, and her boss probably has no choice but to lower the boom on her. Though he might be able to convince his own boss to give her some slack, I'm not at all sure about that. I talk with that boss regularly, and he's in a mood for firing, all through his organization. This boss wants the girl's direct boss to make an example of the girl to the other employees.

I really don't want to be in on this. The girl is such a sweetheart, and she's in such a bind even with a job that losing this one will be extremely tough. Btw, she works two jobs, but the second one for not as many hours. And, she needs two jobs at once like the most of us need one job.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:30 PM

lol my disciplinary hearings were always hilarious. i threw up in one and questioned a managers manhood in another.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Heh you must have them over a barrel or something.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh you must have them over a barrel or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. was in a very strong union.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:55 PM

OP: Get used to it. It's part of your job.

Mrs. Skoob was in middle management for years and she hated it. She came home crying like once a week it seemed like. Now she's a mom and everyone is happier.

I don't know how folks in middle management do it.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: Get used to it. It's part of your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do what? There isn't an aspect of my life in which there isn't some element of displeasure or discomfort. Even the things I enjoy often take a bit of sacrifice to execute.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find both being a manager and being managed to be totally intolerable soul-draining experiences. Of course if you start with no soul you handle it great.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do what? There isn't an aspect of my life in which there isn't some element of displeasure or discomfort. Even the things I enjoy often take a bit of sacrifice to execute.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that certain people aren't suited for certain jobs because of their personality. I don't believe I would be suited for management. That's not a slam against people who are good at and enjoy their work in midddle management.

When my wife would gripe about her job, everyone sounded so petty. "She did this" or "he did that."

Just shut up and go back to work.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But in these days of lawsuits, you really need a witness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fill a non-American non-member of the workforce in please. Are we talking American Beauty here, or are there other practical reasons why 'you're fired' cannot be communicated without a witness?