Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: WSOPC Flopped flush

fold pf

lead flop for like 1200-1500

turn i think c/shove is best because i just can't see someone checking behind with a set on the 3-flush/3-straight board here. and at this point, he more often has a set than 1-pair. add in the times that he sucks really hard and bets the turn with like KhKx and it's really easy. he's going to be pretty much committed to calling your all-in looking for the board to pair too unles he does something like bet half-pot.

one of the biggest mistakes average players (and assuming this guy is "average" is likely being generous because most old live players obv suck) is to make bets like this without considering what they'll do if a, or b, or c occurs. so he'll likely bet his set and then [censored] his pants with frustration when you shove. then he'll go "aww [censored], guess i'm stuck now. i call". then you get pissed off at the river.

el fin
Old 02-21-2007, 05:38 PM

In hindsight, I think if you bet the flop you get raised most of the time here. Villian is "cautious and tight" you are "playing too many hands" that combination should make it very difficult for villian to put you on your hand. Additionally, he raised you OTB the minimum indicating that he VERY much wants you to call with your crap hand vs. his better hand in position.

Leading the flop & a big 3 bet prolly wins the hand right there or gets all the chips in with you as a favorite vs. a set.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold pf

lead flop for like 1200-1500

turn i think c/shove is best because i just can't see someone checking behind with a set on the 3-flush/3-straight board here. and at this point, he more often has a set than 1-pair. add in the times that he sucks really hard and bets the turn with like KhKx and it's really easy. he's going to be pretty much committed to calling your all-in looking for the board to pair too unles he does something like bet half-pot.

one of the biggest mistakes average players (and assuming this guy is "average" is likely being generous because most old live players obv suck) is to make bets like this without considering what they'll do if a, or b, or c occurs. so he'll likely bet his set and then [censored] his pants with frustration when you shove. then he'll go "aww [censored], guess i'm stuck now. i call". then you get pissed off at the river.

el fin

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, detailed analysis of a hand! [/sarcasm]

FWIW, I learn so much more from these posts vs a 2 worder or even a "2 syllable"r
Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 PM

nice post evg.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 PM

I think the analysis is a little skewed by the results being posted initially. I wouldn't put villain on a set on the flop. I think an over pair is more likely, although he could have a lot of hands. If you know he has a set sure try to go allin on the flop. Not knowing that, I wouldn't play it as slow as OP, but I wouldn't assume villain calls a push.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:40 PM

betgo,

dont know wtf you are talking about. i said c/shove the turn. c/shove the flop would be the dumbest overbet like ever.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:24 PM

edit: dumb post im an idiot.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 AM

I'm pretty sure I prefer check raising this flop to leading on the assumption that people who tiny reraise are also incapable of folding their overpairs. Leading gives him a chance to call and have some horrible 9h or something come off on the turn that kills your action. Your goal should be to commit him on the flop, I think cr does that slightly better in this spot.

Steve
Old 02-22-2007, 01:32 AM

Steve, you see AA, KK, or QQ, or any set, smooth calling our LAG hero on this flop????
Old 02-22-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve, you see AA, KK, or QQ, or any set, smooth calling our LAG hero on this flop????

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried writing out a post explaining why but can't really put it well. But short answer: yes, very much so. People hate putting their tournament lives at risk vs draws, especially when they can see another card relatively cheaply. Once you make the pot big enough that they really care about it, that's when they just put the money in.

Steve