Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Small pp\'s in FR

open limp and open rais them, just do the same with aa kk sometimes and youll be fine! and occasionally limp reraise with a small pocket pair just like you do with aa, villian will often smooth call and fold to pot size donk on the flop, cept for this one doushe bag at 400nl who called with 99, last night, What a prick!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:26 PM

I openraise 22+ in every pos and so far it has been clearly Ev+
Old 02-19-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I openraise 22+ in every pos and so far it has been clearly Ev+

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets say you have 22 first in from early position FR. What do you usually raise it to? This play just seems strange to me.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:21 PM

I raise it to 4BB UTG; just like I would JJ+/AQo+/AJs+.

That play is a problem if:
a) it usually gets 2 callers one of which will float you with a better pocket pair
b) people notice your PFR% is high and start 3-betting you light.

Otherwise you have initiative, and your hand is well disguised. Open-limping UTG screams "small pocket pair" unless your VP$IP is high.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:44 PM

I don't understand why everyone raises every PP in EP. I usually limp 22-JJ from EP. As I have said before, I do raise about a quarter of the time with any PP from EP, but it really hurts to get reraised with one of these hands unless stacks are significantly deeped than 100 BB or if you know your opponents will make VERY small reraises. The hands that reraise you are the ones you want to be playing against.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise you have initiative, and your hand is well disguised. Open-limping UTG screams "small pocket pair" unless your VP$IP is high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this unless you're talking like 10% or less total. I think my VP$IP is like 14 from UTG and I don't have that many problems. If your opponents can accurately read you EP limps for small PP then you are not balancing your strategy enough. I limp all sorts of hands from EP. Suited connectors, small pocket pairs, occasionally suited one gappers, and also occasionally big pocket pairs.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b) people notice your PFR% is high and start 3-betting you light.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem that I had in mind. If the stacks are deep enough and the players behind you aren't too aggressive, then I guess making a small or mid-sized raise would be a good idea, especially if your opponents don't expect you to open-raise with a small pocket pair.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why everyone raises every PP in EP. I usually limp 22-JJ from EP. As I have said before, I do raise about a quarter of the time with any PP from EP, but it really hurts to get reraised with one of these hands unless stacks are significantly deeped than 100 BB or if you know your opponents will make VERY small reraises. The hands that reraise you are the ones you want to be playing against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put and I agree. Although it is somewhat iffy with
the larger of the pairs (JJ-99), I still see people blindly recommending some very large preflop raises first in from EP

For anyone that's interested check out this thread about JJ first in from EP in a somewhat-maniac-type game:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post9244477
Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 AM

You limp 44 UTG. 2 other limpers. Button makes a standard raise of 7BB. His range is actually quite wide. You are not sure the other limpers will come along if you call.

What is your play?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:21 AM

Here is another question...

You hold 55 in late position (let's say the button) and there are 3 limpers behind, do you still raise here? It drives me crazy to limp a pair on the button, especially at a tight table, so I usually raise.

By the way, if the table I am playing at has below a 25% VPIP, I open raise all pairs in all positions.