Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Breach - Move Review (mild spoiler)

Your mention of "bee season" reminded me of this random movie that I don't think is well known so I'll take this opportunity to recommend it, Ulee's Gold - http://imdb.com/title/tt0120402/

For Andy and people who liked it, what do you think of my criticism? Cooper is supposed to be a brillant evildoer but in the movie no one, including him, comes off as very smart. To me all of Phillipes lies and deceptive tricks he plays on Cooper seem extremely striaght forward.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:28 AM

The man is only labeled a genius for two reasons.

1) Keeps the government from looking too bad. You can't blame us for the leak, he was just toooooo smart.

2) The people labeling aren't very bright themselves.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 AM

terrible dialogue, and god awful pacing.
bad movie.
cooper is good, the movie blows.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Well, he was considered brilliant by others in the government, and they're shown to be ordinary people, not brilliant themselves.

I felt Cooper's character wanted to get caught. When he asked O'Neill if he could trust him, I thought he wanted to know if he could trust him to do the right thing, that is, catch Cooper. Cooper knew he was being set up: he knew his assistant had looked in his briefcase and, the very first day, that he had been snooping in his office.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 PM

Cooper is amazing, one of the best actors right now and was great in this movie. Too bad the movie was terrible. Ryan Phillippe has one expression for a little under two hours, his mouth barely moves when he talks, he is better suited as a ventriloquist. How you match up such a weak actor with someone like Cooper is beyond me, of course every scene is going to look dominated and the film will look awkward. It was the equivalent of casting Paul Walker across from Daniel-Day Lewis and expecting Walker to be able to carry a scene with him. The whole movie was out of place b/c of this.

I actually like Laura Linney, I loved her character in The Truman Show and thought she was excellent in The Squid and the Whale...she is also good in most of the roles she plays. I don't think it was her, I think it was her character that was so bad. Bruiser mentions that line where she says, "idiot, imbecile!" It was weird he mentions that b/c that is the one line that stands out from her character and it stood out b/c of how retarded it was. It sounded really goofy, it isn't the language of an agent, someone with super intelligence and a higher level of discreetness. It just further proved how terrible the script was.

Riverboatkind mentioned "god awful pacing." I couldn't agree more. I will first say that a movie doesn't have to be action packed and a thriller to entertain me b/c actually my favorite movies are some of the movies that get bashed on here for being boring. This movie though never created any tension. Such as the part when Phillipe is downloading from Cooper's palm pilot, there wasn't any tension in that scene, you knew the entire time everything was going to work out. The scene in the park, you knew Cooper was just firing his gun to fire his gun and that he wouldn't shoot him (obviously) but more importantly that no information or twist in the story was coming (a leak from Phillippe possibly in fear that he will get shot! Of course not, never once felt that way) that everything was just going to just sort of resolve on its own like it did the entire movie.

I didn't feel like I was watching a movie, I felt like someone was reading me the biography of this spy (Hansson's) life, direct to the point, no twist no turn in the road.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Breach - Move Review

This movie is awful, I am not even sure that word discribes how bad this movie is. THe actors did the best they could with the dialogue given to them, however, they could not even save it. No one could. The pacing is slow, I looked at my watch often to just see how long we had left and I have never had my watch move so slow. It is bad because the plot could have been great and with the correct dialogue and other aspects the movie would have been decent. The only other movie I have ever wanted to walk out of is Good Shepard.

Two Thumbs Down
Old 02-20-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your mention of "bee season" reminded me of this random movie that I don't think is well known so I'll take this opportunity to recommend it, Ulee's Gold - http://imdb.com/title/tt0120402/

[/ QUOTE ]

In Limon's thread on obscure movies in the El-D forum I added a few picks late last night and Ulee's Gold was one of them. I'm not sure it's all that obscure (I think Fonda got at least an Oscar nomination). I also added a couple of your picks; wasn't sure about posting in both forums as I'm confused about all the forum rivalries. Since you posted it must be OK.

~ Rick
Old 02-20-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't waste the 8 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

8 bucks??? where in the [censored] do you live?
or are you a senior citizen/student/child?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol its $6 for me (but i'm a student).
Old 02-20-2007, 03:36 PM

one more thing about the movie is that in Silence of the Lambs or Good Will Hunting the meetings between Hopkins and that woman and Robin Williams and Matt damon were intense and they only took up a small part of the movie. Breach took that idea and went with it ot the max, the entire movie was phillipe and cooper in every scene together dueling it out which did not work imo
Old 02-20-2007, 07:33 PM

Word. Kindof. The movie was ok, mostly because Cooper was great and the supporting cast was pretty good. But as a couple of people have said, Phillipe is just out of his depth here, and the writing was full of holes. For Instance:

Don't want to spoil anything, but to put it in 2+2 terms, Phillipe's character spends 95% of the movie looking like a complete fish. Cooper basically reads his mind at several points, while completely fooling him... But then somehow at the critical moment, well...

I thought the pacing of this movie was pretty good, and Cooper definitly made it worth watching (preferably on video), but Phillipe and the believability factor killed any higher asperiations it might have had.