Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Breach - Move Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=335294)

theBruiser500 02-18-2007 08:03 PM

Breach - Move Review

Breach looked pretty good to me from the previews... Chris Cooper, psychological thriller, sweet. In fact it is unbearable, it tries to be like Silence of the Lamb a psychological duel between an evil mastermind and some other guy that everyone doubts and calls a "lightweight," and in the only scene f hte movie, lauren linney yells at him "are you an idiot? imbecile, idiot."

Anyway it's not belieavable at all because the characters just act stupid not like geniuses at all, the acting is really bad from the main character, Cooper is okay but nothing special. The script is a joke I highly recommend against seeing it, there's nothing worthwhile in it.

The4Aces 02-18-2007 08:10 PM

Re: Breach - Move Review

damm. I was hoping this would be good.

Dominic 02-18-2007 09:26 PM

I saw it and thought it was damn good. Chris Cooper is amazing.

MrMon 02-18-2007 09:40 PM

It's got generally positive reviews, 79% on the Tomatometer.

theBruiser500 02-18-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw it and thought it was damn good. Chris Cooper is amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has pretty good reviews, i saw it with my friends and they liked it... it's baffling to me how everyne can like this movie though

LightsOut 02-19-2007 05:09 AM

i thought it sucked. Horrible acting / character devlopment and it was hella borring. Don't waste the 8 bucks.

riverboatking 02-19-2007 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't waste the 8 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

8 bucks??? where in the [censored] do you live?
or are you a senior citizen/student/child?

andyfox 02-19-2007 12:21 PM

Re: Breach - Move Review (mild spoiler)

I saw it yesterday and like it a lot. I thought Cooper was exceptional. One review I read said the movie was weak because it never explained Cooper's motivation for spying. But Cooper specifically says why he did it when he says he matters. I thought Phillippe was a bit weak, and I would have preferred Joan Allen in the Laura Linney role, but Cooper's performance made the movie for me.

It's not a gerat movie. We've seen the story before; in particular, it reminded me a bit of Donnie Brasco. But for me, Cooper's performance promoted the movie above the formulaic.

I guess the trend in spy movies is to make the protagonist cold, stoic and slow-moving (see Matt Damon in The Good Shepherd). But I found Cooper's character interesting--the strange mix of patriotism, religiosity and perversion.

Maybe I'm getting less curmudgeonly, but I've liked most movies I've seen the last year or so. So take my feelings with a grain of salt, but I think this one is worth seing.

Duke 02-19-2007 04:39 PM

My dad was pretty excited to see this, mainly because of Cooper. And yes, Cooper did a great job. I think he deserves a bit more acclaim than he's been given in the past, and this performance was as good as any.

Linney's character sucked. I'm not going to place the full blame on her, since you gotta point a finger at the director at some point. Her "performance" was fine, but the delivery and actual lines were junk. Joan Allen would have been a much better choice (I'm agreeing with Andy here).

Far too much of it was spelled out. Like, yeah he's clumping along through mud at the end before he gets caught, and yeah that's the price he paid to "matter," and yeah that's what he said he was above. We get it. Yes, in the "gunfire" scene he ignored 90% of what Phillippe said, and instead only cared about the part about him "mattering."

I think the best part of the movie was the very end, where Phillippe's saying that his wife shouldn't have to learn to deal with him in that sort of job. I figure that's applicable to a lot of people in a lot of professions, and speaks to priorities fairly well.

I won't be watching it again, and didn't like it the first time. I waited for 30 minutes for it to improve. After I resigned myself to the fact that it wouldn't, well, it got a *little* more enjoyable, but I didn't want to have to lower my expectations.

As far as agreeing with Andy some more, well, I've liked most of the movies that I've seen recently too. The only ones that I haven't liked at all in recent years were North Country, Fun with Dick & Jane, The Good Shepherd, Bee Season, and this. One thing that Breach and TGS share is that they had some really great performances, but the films themselves weren't that good.

andyfox 02-20-2007 12:52 AM

"I think he deserves a bit more acclaim than he's been given in the past"

Well, he has been given an Oscar.

I'm thinking of the movies I've seen in the past year or so:

The Good Shepherd
Venus
Alpha Dogs
Marie Antoinette
Blood Diamond
The Departed
Letters from Iwo Jima