Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Engagement Ring Ideas

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get caught up in what they say it'll appraise for. Also, don't forget that there are FOUR C's, not just carat. Take your $5k, 2.0CT diamond and hold it next to one that scores (probably much) higher in clarity and color.

[/ QUOTE ]

here we go - this is def advice i need to understand. clarity and color are key.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get caught up in what they say it'll appraise for. Also, don't forget that there are FOUR C's, not just carat. Take your $5k, 2.0CT diamond and hold it next to one that scores (probably much) higher in clarity and color.

[/ QUOTE ]

here we go - this is def advice i need to understand. clarity and color are key.

[/ QUOTE ]

At sams club and any other jewelry store for that matter... they list the exact clarity and color as deemed by a gemologist. I did a lot of research and sams club gives you by far the most bang for your buck of any jewelry store out there when you compare the 3 C's hands down sams wins.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
a 2.0ct diamond will most likely cost you closer to 10k....the going rate right now is about 6k per carat. Of course if you get one with slight imperfections then the price will drop.
I got engaged last Sunday and believe me, the C's you wanna be most concerned about are "cut" and "color"
Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 PM

Also, look at the diamonds loose and then pick out a setting you like.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 PM

Reading the discussion - learn about the 4 C's and decide on yourself what you want versus what you can afford to mix and match. Learn on line then go to a jewelry store, tell them you're just browing and ask to see different types of stones with the C's that you think you might want.

Consider asking her what she wants too - some women actually want to help and others want to be surprised. Mine said she wanted a round solitaire - rest was up to me...

To me having a clarity that looked perfect to the naked eye was important. Here's where I saved, going with a VS2. Some will argue that they want to get a perfect clarity stone, but my thought was if it's perfect to the naked eye, that's good enough for me.

I wanted lots of sparkle - and she wanted a round stone (best shape for sparkle). So I wanted as ideal of a cut as I could get (cut impacts sparkle). Sparkle can also be impacted by the clarify - if you go with an SI2 or worse, you can see bits of black stuff in the stone, which seemed (to me) to detract from the sparkle.

I wanted as clearless a color to the naked eye (I think I went with E or F). I also wanted 1 karat.

click the link below and learn more...

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond_color.asp

Blue nile has some cool online functionality that lets you browse through their stones and choose exactly what you want in terms of the 4 c's, then spits out a price...

If I were in your shoes, I'd narrow down to exactly what you think you want, go to a retailer to see some stones with the C's you think you want, narrow it down to specific C's then shop around for prices on stones that meet your criteria.

Settings are another topic.

Don't know how Bluenile compares to Sam's club $-wise, but mine was low 6K for a stone that appraised for 10K, so sounds like they're both in the ballpark ...
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Did Blood Diamond have no effect on you?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Canadian Diamonds FTW
Old 02-14-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blue nile - www.bluenile.com - do some research, I think you'll find it gets great reviews. That's where I got mine in 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

FS: 3/4 carrat ring. PM me.

In all seriousness, Bluenile rules. Got a great ring. Still have it. Girls suck.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I specifically requested a blood diamond, but alas...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to consider Moissanite for many reasons. Lots of stuff on the web. Basically it looks better than a diamond, is more durable in some ways, and a fraction of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.