Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Squeeeeze play?

Why not to Push/Why to Check: Eh... I want to say this hand has too much flop value to waste by pushing. As per the opponents' hand ranges, not a lot of flops are making you go broke, but also QJ-high is unlikely to be the best hand. Lots of hands lay down to your push, maybe even enough such that it's profitable, but your hand is setting up to be very easy to play profitably on the flop, so I'd like to see one. Lead Q/J-high dry flops for 2/5-pot, a little more if draw-heavy. Open-push very draw-heavy boards you hit hard. Two-way check your big draws. There's not much motivation to mix up your play at the 33's. Just play it ABC.

Why not to make a Retarded Raise: Minraising is only marginally worse at not folding slightly better hands and is about 4 times as confusing. Would you do it with AA/KK? What about 32o? No and no, so don't do it with anything in the middle. Disproved by induction...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the wacky world of Poker Theory with Slack!

[/ QUOTE ]

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is a slight favorite over holdings like 88 and a random hand. Even KT and some random hand. Something like 41/39/19.

Why is it that the bubble/aggression doesn't apply here?

It is +EV to shove given the tightness of the players and the odds. No???

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the squeeze play is to push against two limpers. The theory is that the original limper has to call an all in while wondering how the 2nd limper will respond. The 2nd limper's hand tends to be weak in these situations as he didn't raise and most likely hoped to see a flop for cheap. By pushing you eliminate this option, by raising you do not.

When you push you are maximizing your FE by "burning the boats" and showing that you are willing to put it all on this hand. However, when you raise to 800 you are actually just building a nice pot and inviting two calls. Consider it as strong as lighting a match in a thunderstorm. There is a 10BB rule for a reason and I'm pretty sure there is some mathematical basis for it. I'll let others elaborate.

If your stack size was smaller, or if your stack size was closer to (or more than) the other stacks involved in this hand I would vote for a squeeze. As it is QJs is exactly the kind of hand you want to see a flop with.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a 10BB rule for a reason and I'm pretty sure there is some mathematical basis for it. I'll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 10BB being the big blind, 9BB after posting. One caller, SB completd.

Where do we balance the bubble aggression with the rule of 10 big blinds in this situation? Tight table, two limpers, 10BB.

What hands do they play this way that wants to see all five cards?

Call me confused. Slack