Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Treadmills?

I go to the treadmill because it forces me to go to the gym and actually do something. If I tell myself I'm going to go run around my apartment building, chances are I'll do a lap or two then tell myself my back or something stupid hurts too much and I'll stop after like 10 minutes. When I go to the gym, I decide its stupid to make a trip and leave after 10 minutes, so I end up doing my full workout. Other than that, for the motivated person, there is no reason for a treadmill.

I have a difficult time maintaining accurate pace if I run without a treadmill, I too often run too fast in the beginning get winded and have to slow down/walk, try it up again, rinse repeat, it's just a mess, on a treadmill I don't have this pacing problem. When I get better and more conditioned to running/when the weather is nicer I will run outside.

At my gym, every bike/treadmill/elipitcal has its on TV screen. So being able to watch whatever (and plug in headphones if you want) makes it the easy choice over running on the track.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:20 PM

If you live in a city and/or it is extremely cold outside, running outside sucks.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I go to the treadmill because it forces me to go to the gym and actually do something. If I tell myself I'm going to go run around my apartment building, chances are I'll do a lap or two then tell myself my back or something stupid hurts too much and I'll stop after like 10 minutes. When I go to the gym, I decide its stupid to make a trip and leave after 10 minutes, so I end up doing my full workout. Other than that, for the motivated person, there is no reason for a treadmill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I'm the exact opposite. I run a lot longer when I'm outside. I like to take new routes and run places I've never been before. I can easily run 45 minutes for an hour (I don't keep track, I just find out when I get back). When I'm on a treadmill I can hardly make it 20 minutes, plus I get overly concerned with my mile time. Also I can't concentrate when looking at a TV. I've been on a treadmill with a TV before, but my head keeps bobbing up and down and I'm running too hard to pay attention.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I'm the exact opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, main reason being that when I run outside I make sure to in one direction so that I get away from my house. On the treadmill I find it easy to quit early if I'm tired, but when I'm running outdoors I always have to make it home.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:30 PM

I don't care about the DVD's, TV, electronics, et. al...

I just like to hear the squeeky motor under my feet.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Let's not forget this oldie but goodie:

Old 02-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Aren't elipitcal machines better for you? Why do so many people use Treadmills over that?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Running on tracks/outdoors beats the [censored] out of my legs (shin splints and such). Treadmills are far more forgiving.