Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Post if you mailed your Congressman today! 2/2/07

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I am going to make a pledge. I will email my congressman and my senator everyday

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any idea what the vote count was for port security bill?

You think your stupid spam emails are going to help? Why don't you just go and masturbate on your congressmans front lawn, that will help about as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the negatives and pessimism out please. Thanks.

I emailed my Senator; I have twice. Has anyone actually gotten a reply back? I asked for one both times but never actually got a response. Is anyone expecting one back?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:08 PM

I have a number of times... Tired of getting the same response.
But I could send another
Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 PM

What did you get back?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would suggest writing something better than that. multiple errors, however small they are, won't help the cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please PM me with corrections/suggestions. Thank You
Old 02-02-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I am going to make a pledge. I will email my congressman and my senator everyday

[/ QUOTE ]

You think your stupid spam emails are going to help? Why don't you just go and masturbate on your congressmans front lawn, that will help about as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the negatives and pessimism out please. Thanks.

I emailed my Senator; I have twice. Has anyone actually gotten a reply back? I asked for one both times but never actually got a response. Is anyone expecting one back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for participating... I also emailed my Senator and my local newspaper.

Many have received emails back from their representatives. Most were form letters, however some seem to be genuine responses. Check the Legislation Forum if you would like to read some of those.

When you email your representative, some aide will record a mark on a tally sheet, or mark an opinion in their database. Just because you don't get anything back doesn't mean you aren't being heard. Even if you aren't being heard very loudly.

As for naysayers, feel free to suggest intelligent, productive alternatives.

Thank You
Old 02-02-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness, the vote count was because they were actually voting on the port security bill, not the internet gambling regulations.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM

I'm going to contact mine. As I understood it, the UIGEA did not have any stipulations about fund transfers BACK to a US land-based bank from an online payment processor. Furthermore, what happened to the 270 day period to determine enforcement procedures?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness, the vote count was because they were actually voting on the port security bill, not the internet gambling regulations.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness, it takes a lot more political capital to go back and repeal a certain part of a bill than it did to pass it in the first place.

There's been serious movements to repeal parts of the Patriot Act for years and even that hasn't happened. A small band of angry internet gamblers sure as hell isn't going to make it happen either.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:29 PM

I had written my congressman earlier, Duncan Hunter of California 51st district. I finally got back some lame a$$ reply, gambling hurts people blah, blah, blah.

Now he is running for President, so there is no incumbent to threaten. California's districts are so gerrymandered there is no competition anyway.

What I suggest is for everyone, and I mean everyone, to write something as follows.

Dear congressman/senator,

I am voting against you in the coming election, and every election thereafter, until I can play online poker free from all governmental harassment.

I don't care who your opponent is, what their other views are, or even if he or she is also adamantly against online poker. All you need to know is that I am voting AGAINST YOU , ALWAYS, until you are gone or this matter is resolved to my satisfaction.

Your most aggrieved constituent,

xxxxxxx

Snail mail works best, but e-mail is good too.

If they know we are seriously going to vote against any and all incumbents and that we are laser focused on online poker being made legal, perhaps they might decide that it is not wise to ignore such a cohesive voting bloc. This will be especially true in districts and states where there is a truly competitive race.

We are too disjointed to mount an effective conventional lobbying effort. Heck, most of us don't trust the one organization that purports to speak for us.

This will work if EVERYBODY says what they are going to do, and do what they say. We need numbers, BIG numbers. Numbers of potential opposing votes that cannot be ignored.

Otherwise, go back to bitchin' and forget online poker as we knew it.

Tuff
Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we are laser focused on online poker being made legal,

[/ QUOTE ]

Online poker is legal. The only thing the courts have declared illegal is online sports betting.

The problem isn't the legality of online poker. The problem is the decimation of all ways to fund/withdraw from accounts.