Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Help me gain 10-15 lbs of muscle by July.

To back up my point (not making fun of OP).

He is asking about tricep curls (there is no such thing!) in his post before asking about nutrition. Insanity I tell ya!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously=not really possible unless you're on cycle or using gh, igf, or insulin

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, op should be able to do both at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to focus on chest, biceps, triceps, deltoids, and back.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you want to have a balanced upper body. I know several people that do nothing but flat bar bench and bicep curls.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously=not really possible unless you're on cycle or using gh, igf, or insulin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but if your goal is just to be at a certain state by July, it's more efficient to focus on gaining muscle first, and then focus on cutting. Your overall result will be much better/easier if you do it in two stages.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 PM

true, the more serious poeple get, the more they have a "bulking" phase and a "cutting" phase.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 PM

Unless you've never lifted before, you will not meet this goal by July without steroids.

Even if you have never lifted before, you will be extremely lucky to meet this goal by July without steroids.

The best thing to do is make sure you are eating plenty of protein (1g / pound of body weight is a good estimate). And lifting weights. Don't eat more calories than you need to gain ~1 lb a week or you will be gaining mostly fat. Cardio is pretty counterproductive, so I wouldn't recommend it while bulking unless you need to stay in shape for a sport.

Focus on the large muscle groups (legs and back). The guy who said squat & deadlifts is right on. These are the best excercises in order of importance:

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Pullups (weighted), Dips (Weighted)

You should be doing these with as much weight as you can handle for sets of 6-10 reps (except deadlifts, lower reps 2-5 are usually more effective). If you can do more than 10 reps, go up in weight. You can do other exercises if you want, but you don't need to. Weighted crunches are the only other exercise that might be needed, but your core will get worked from the squats and deads.

Lifting weights doesn't make you build muscle. Increasing the amount of weight that you are lifting does. If you haven't been lifting at all, lifting small amounts of weight will cause some muscle growth, but after a while you will plateau if you don't increase the weight. Even when you are lifting a lot of weight, you will not grow if you just keep lifting the same amount every week. Muscle growth is your body's adaptation to you asking it to do things it hasn't been required to do in the past.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why? because he's so fat? i'm around 15% right now since i'm bulking like i do every winter but if i decided to run a caloric deficit of say 500 calories a day and kept busting my ass in the gym i guarantee you i wouldn't gain any muscle, but would merely maintain a good amount.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 PM

This info really needs to be in the sticky.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 PM

I dont know if that is true for a beginner, for someoen who has lifted for awhile I agree 100%, but for someone who has a higher body fat percentage, and isnt really all tht strong, I really tend to think that the most efficient thing for him to do is eat at a cal deficit, losing fat, and gaining muscle. Since he has a high bf %, his body isnt going to utilize the food you eat as efficiently as if he was at 6%, so for a newb, I think its a little different. I would almost wager that if he eats at 500 above his maintence cals, he would gain the same amount of muscle and strength than if he ate below his cal requirements, because of the fact that when he is eating a lot, with high bf% his body is going to store more fat than if he had low bf.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if that is true for a beginner, for someoen who has lifted for awhile I agree 100%, but for someone who has a higher body fat percentage, and isnt really all tht strong, I really tend to think that the most efficient thing for him to do is eat at a cal deficit, losing fat, and gaining muscle. Since he has a high bf %, his body isnt going to utilize the food you eat as efficiently as if he was at 6%, so for a newb, I think its a little different. I would almost wager that if he eats at 500 above his maintence cals, he would gain the same amount of muscle and strength than if he ate below his cal requirements, because of the fact that when he is eating a lot, with high bf% his body is going to store more fat than if he had low bf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay, guids advises I do what I'm doing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]