Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: 5/10 TPGK vs pro

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with pretty much everything that was said. Despite the retarded line, I still think the river fold might have been correct once I got there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting 12:1. Is BZ. He doesn't trust you and you are aware of it. Show this down man.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 AM

I really don't like your line. I c/r the flop, (probably cap a 3-bet and bet-call turn) or possibly c/r the turn (like this more if flop was rainbow). Get to showdown either way!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have tangled a fair bit, and I have been using way too much FPS with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems you've answered your own question.
This isn't a multiple level thought process hand.

Why? Because your line makes no sense. Unless you were planning to B/3b the turn and had some sort of prior history of donk/folding the the turn.

If your playing hands this weird against him, you're image is probabily horrible and FPSy.

I also agree that the river fold is just bad given both of your historys. Someone said "he's not raising to fold a king", well I really think he doubts you have a king given your line.

Against solid players who you know are better than you, you shouldn't be trying to play a tricky and exploitive game that outplays them. You're probabily not as good at it as they are and will end up exposing holes in your game and getting counter exploited. The best approach is to play sound poker and try to minimize your exploitability.

Best way to do that here?
I think a c/c flop , c/r turn in 3-bet situations with a King + drawy flop is the closest to a game theoretic optimal strategy.

1) Because it's been 3-bet PF the pot is bigger, making checking behind the turn a bigger mistake. Therefore expect two barrels to come out a high % of the time.

2) I prefer A semibluff C/R the turn in bigger pots with a draw + high scare card because is much more likely to get a fold than a flop c/r. You will have a hand that is semibluff worthy a good enough % of the time.

3) You are ahead way more often than you are way behind here

I like to balance my play by not only doing this with my monsters and semi bluffs, but also occasionally peeling a little lighter than normal.

IE let's say you have a medium/low PP or AQ here. I think calling down would be a mistake given the range of cards that he could have. However if you peel, and he starts checking behind A highs to avoid you're C/R you have an easy river value bet. If you had a draw, you were just given a free card. Sure you didn't get to push him off the pot, but you got to see the river for free.
If he checks behind, your river bluffing frequency should be fairly low unless a draw card hits. This is because his distribution is composed of mostly weak showdownable hands.

Do you see how no matter what action he chooses on the turn to exploit one class of hands (draws, weak showdown hnds, strong hands) he ends up benefitting the others?

In my opinion this is the least exploitable strategy with the range of hands you could both have here. We should be employing these strategies against players who are better than us.