Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Playing at Squeeky Tight Tables

that's why I posted the thread, to encourage discussion on how to play against the rocks. By no means do I seek these folks out, it's just that at some point a poker player will find themselves up against a table full of tight passives and I'd like for them to know what to do.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:44 PM

Simple. Steal more blinds.

Edit: That's all I put because it takes longer than I want to go into detail, plus there are plenty of other threads that have gone over it.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 PM

This thread turned out to be prophetic.

After two good nights at UB, Ive just come away from a table where my raise from UTG stole the blinds on 3 seperate occasions. We didnt see a flop for 18 hands !!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 PM

It can be a tight table and still be good if two or three players are loose and especially if they are loose post flop. But if they are all tight and tight aggro post flop; we must not forget that not only do we have to be better than the other players, we have to be better than the other players AND the rake. I don't know about you but there are plenty of tables where I don't think I can beat the players and the rake.

The concept of playing against better players for the educational value is valid IMO. But I think you can play against better players and learn while there are also a few not so better players at the table to pay the tuition.

A rough analogy might be: similar to betting or calling "for information about how another player plays" it isn't really necessary because if you are patient, someone will expose that for you in the future.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:55 AM

I don't mind tight tables, because I can experiment with c/r and 3-bets. They help me learn when to attempt to push people off hands.

Loose tables often cause me to cuss out my computer more often.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 AM

WTF, nerdking ... you could have just said that RemyXO made an awesome post about tightness of PS tables. Quit calling me "one player" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for your post, good observations, I agree with most of it. When I sit at a tight table (or a loose one that turns tight with people hopping), I loosen up quite a bit and up the aggro level. Befolder nailed it - steal, steal, steal.

The pots I'll take are minuscule in comparison to loose tables, but I'll get heck of a lot more of them. Check-raising the turn with air is awesome when board is cooperating [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You made an excellent point that you need to pay more attention at these tables. It's more of an indication of the style you have to play - being loose aggressive is always dancing on the edge and having to make tough postflop decisions. One needs to be able to escape from those tight spots. Swtich the auto-pilot off.

It's also tough to play against SMART GOOD TAGs. It's heck of a lot easier when the whole table is full of BAD TAGs, who are scared $hitless to put one BB in the pot preflop without a premium holding.

But then ... WTF!!! Where are my nice Party tables with 60% to the flop??? Grrrrrrrrrrrr ... I hope Frist gets impotence for the rest of his life.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 PM

I play at those types of tables all the time just out of necessity. I guess I've adjusted to them, since I beat them pretty regularly. I just play my usual TAG game, but I play a few more hands. I think I win more pots but they're smaller, as opposed to fewer bigger pots. At a looser table I tend to tighten up a little more.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:16 PM

I've just been slaughtered at a nice n loose table over at UB. My god. The carnage! I'll have flashbacks for months!

Top two pair overturned twice by a river flush card, pocket Queens cut down in the prime of their life by someone who couldnt let go of a pair of 7's and hit trips on the River.

The Horror........The Horror
Old 01-27-2007, 12:36 PM

yeah...the maniacs are hard to play.

they limp anything, play bottom PP like it's the nuts when there are 3-4 OCs on the board, they call you down with any pair (and I mean ANY), etc.

it's great when the cards go roughly your way. it's horrible when the suck-out plants are in bloom.

don't lose heart.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

don't lose heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'll just throw on some Kenny G and soak in the bath...........
.....Wait.......No. I'm male. I'll have a few beers and a spliff instead. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]