Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Parcells retires

[ QUOTE ]
He gets here and forces Zimmer to run the 3-4, a guy that has had incredible success running the 4-3...this is the equivelant of an Asian Chef perfecting his craft all his life and then one day a man come into his restaurant and tells him, "nope, no more, now you're cooking Tacos holmes!" Yet, Zimmer takes all the blame for the defensive woes and Parcells sits back and picks apart everyone like he always does.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wasn't that at least partly because Jerry Jones told him he had to keep Zimmer? I think a lot of the problems have had to do with the fact that Parcells & Jones are like oil & water. They're both egomaniacs. This has ended exactly like anyone with an ounce of sense would have predicted. I'm not saying Parcells didn't make mistakes, but this whole thing was doomed to failure from the beginning.

I don't necessarily think it's a matter of him being too old, although I think the too set in his ways is probably right. I think the "the game has passed him by" cliche gets overused. I think it's more a matter of some of these older coaches having earned their reputations with different personnel. Parcells just couldn't get the right personnel in place fast enough to make his system work, whether that's his failure or Jones'. The fact is though, he doesn't adapt well to the personnel he has.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Cowboys were consistantly outcoached this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so, specifically? I agree that many coaches ride their legacies past their "best before" dates, but I don't know enough about football to understand what you mean.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:44 PM

"But wasn't that at least partly because Jerry Jones told him he had to keep Zimmer?"

Well sure, Jerry Jones likes to destroy and only when you have guys like Jimmie Johnson constantly walking behind him picking up the pieces (such as draft day--Jones=terrible at evaluating talent, Johnson=exceptional; Johnson had a way of shutting Jones the F up on draft day and nobody else has). But if Zimmer is going to be there and as a coach you know your defense isn't working with the 3-4 and though you have only ran the 3-4, maybe you should think about bending for once in your life. The problem with Parcells is that like all games, Football evolved and Bill didn't.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 PM

I hate the cowboys and this is upsetting. He did not seem like a good coach in this era.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so, specifically?

[/ QUOTE ]

They had a lot of problems on defense with regard to personnel, scheme and adjustments. They drafted and started rookie safety Pat Watkins, who isn't necessarily a bad player, but was a terrible fit for their defense. He's similar to Roy Williams, a run-stopper that is a liability in pass coverage. You can't have two safeties that are liabilities in deep coverage. The Eagles abused Watkins with a couple long touchdowns, and Watkins was eventually benched after other teams copied that. The Cowboys then over-adjusted to avoid the long touchdown passes, leaving themselves to be gutted by underneath and medium passes. It all culminated in the blowout losses to the Saints and Eagles - even the [censored] Lions dropped 39 on them. There were also rumors about how the Cowboys weren't making any game-to-game adjustments in their defensive packages/looks. What you saw on film is what you got with their defense, which is a huge no-no. Opposing QBs could read the defense too easily.

Offensively, Parcells insisted on using Julius Jones even though Marion Barber is a much better back. Their numbers aren't even close.

And then there were just awful game-mgt decisions. The most glaring one was at the end of the first half in the 2nd Eagles game. With like 8 seconds left on the clock and the Eagles at the Dallas 43, Parcells put in the "hail-mary" defensive package, including TO. So Garcia threw a quick out, picked up 16 yards, and the Eagles kicked an easy 45 yard field goal to end the half.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably for good this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My initial reaction was, "yeah. right." But he did wait until after all the head coach vacancies were filled. It kind of tells me he didn't want to even deal with someone like Huizinga throwing a bunch of money at him.

Frankly, I can't believe he's lasted this long working for Jerry Johnson.

[/ QUOTE ]

u mean jones...either way, i liked him as a coach, he just didn't seem to have that magic like when he rebuilt the jets...oh well, his legacy won't be tarnished much because of the last couple of years...

also, now that he is gone, i no longer have any reason to root for the cowboys with TO on that team...
Old 01-22-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. He also looked like he lost his fire quite a bit. I think he's going out at a good time. His tank is just about empty.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:07 PM

I don't know if any of what tdarko said was true, but that's one of the better rants I've seen.

Granted I don't know him but Parcells seems like one of the least pleasant guys to be around, ever. He seems like my dad. On the rag.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 PM

Whoever the coach is

The combo of TO and Glenn is not going to help the development of Romo as a QB.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:16 PM

I don't think the Cowboys missed out all that badly. The only hire I really like so far is Tomlin in Pittsburgh... and by really like I mean really hate because I didn't want him to leave so soon.