Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Button raises my blind, I am big stack with 87s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not like a call here because vilain stack is too short to make significant money in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain will have t12.1k behind, so it's t1.2 invested to extract t13.9 from Villain. Plenty enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically about 10:1 which is a good number for a small pocket pair or something like AJs to play out of position after the flop with an oponent you put on a decent hand. Medium connectors, in this situation with this read requires more than 10:1 IMHO.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Medium connectors, in this situation with this read requires more than 10:1 IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]I do believe that medium connectors hit the flop more offten than small pairs (if you include OESD and better draws as "hitting the flop"). If I call here I am not expecting to stack villain, but to hopefully get another bet from him when he wiffs the pots and c-bets into a check/raise where I am either ahead or havea strong draw.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not like a call here because vilain stack is too short to make significant money in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain will have t12.1k behind, so it's t1.2 invested to extract t13.9 from Villain. Plenty enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically about 10:1 which is a good number for a small pocket pair or something like AJs to play out of position after the flop with an oponent you put on a decent hand. Medium connectors, in this situation with this read requires more than 10:1 IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Willing to shade it a bit thin because there are a finite number of chips in play in a MTT. I'm not flatcalling this EVERY time.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Medium connectors, in this situation with this read requires more than 10:1 IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]I do believe that medium connectors hit the flop more offten than small pairs (if you include OESD and better draws as "hitting the flop").

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed in general. In this specific situation with the read of vilain having a half decent hand I still would like more return from vilain for my investment of seeing this flop out of position.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed in general. In this specific situation with the read of vilain having a half decent hand

[/ QUOTE ]If I read OP correctly, villain does not necessariliy have a hand he is willing to felt. If he does, then folding is probably in order because I don't think we're really getting odds if we know villain is going to showdown. If he doesn't, I think we will win with a semi-bluff more often than going to showdown.

But like I said- If I think I have any kind of reasonable FE I'm not calling here. I'm pushing (maybe wrongly).
Old 12-20-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed in general. In this specific situation with the read of vilain having a half decent hand

[/ QUOTE ]If I read OP correctly, villain does not necessariliy have a hand he is willing to felt. If he does, then folding is probably in order because I don't think we're really getting odds if we know villain is going to showdown. If he doesn't, I think we will win with a semi-bluff more often than going to showdown.

But like I said- If I think I have any kind of reasonable FE I'm not calling here. I'm pushing (maybe wrongly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, interpreatation of OP's description may vary from person to person as we tend to spin things our way in our minds. I think a push here is correct, depending on previous plays and table image, if I put vilain on a 50% possible hand or 50% possible steal. If I put vilain on (about) 80% hand 20% steal I would just rather fold.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably, I have significant folding equity. He probably only calls with something like AQ+, 99+, so if he is raising significantly looser I have FE.

[/ QUOTE ]Well I probably push then because the pot is already significant to your stack, you have a resonable hand ifcalled, and this might tighten his raising range in future hands.

Like I said, though, I am not good at blind defense- I basically tend to push a lot in these spots. I rarely flat call, which may be a leak. If I was going to call, this would be the kind of hand I would call with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is freakin absurd. You will push w/ 78s for over 34BB??? And only 9 spots from the money when he is fifth in chips?

This is f'in ludacris.

Dude, flat call. See a flop.

*still shaking head* lol
Old 12-20-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably, I have significant folding equity. He probably only calls with something like AQ+, 99+, so if he is raising significantly looser I have FE.

[/ QUOTE ]Well I probably push then because the pot is already significant to your stack, you have a resonable hand ifcalled, and this might tighten his raising range in future hands.

Like I said, though, I am not good at blind defense- I basically tend to push a lot in these spots. I rarely flat call, which may be a leak. If I was going to call, this would be the kind of hand I would call with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is freakin absurd. You will push w/ 78s for over 34BB??? And only 9 spots from the money when he is fifth in chips?

This is f'in ludacris.

*still shaking head* lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain has 23xBB, so the push is for 23xBB.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind, I will shatter the glass if I keep tapping.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is f'in ludacris.

*still shaking head* lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain has 23xBB, so the push is for 23xBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sry, your are correct but DAMN. 23x BB with f'in 8 high?

Sure when a button opens it is usually pretty wide, but..... wow just wow.