Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Re: DID HE MUCK?!

Similar question.
MTT, final table. I raise in late player in BB calls. Flop Comes J high. He bets I go all in he calls with a set of jacks. I show AK (everyone sees that) and I throw them face down in front of me, knowing I had slim chances to win, dealer leaves them there and deals turn and river making a straight on board. Dealer chops the pot, people at the table said I mucked them so I should lose. Who is right?

And another one (a bit funny):

Guy in late raises SB calls. Flop A10K turn 10 river 5, with betting on all streets, no all in. First turns A9 second turns AJ. Guy with A9 says nice hand and mucks his cards. Dealer gives pot to the AJ hand, as the other mucked his hand.
Same story 3 hands later, between same players, SB in the other hand had K7 late had K9 in what would've been a split pot again, K7 mucks again (he was a clueless fish I know) saying NH dealer gives the pot to K9 again.

Was this the right thing to do by the dealer?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cards speak, he wins. He is a d-bag, but he should get the pot.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
op is a bigger douche for even questioning this.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...he pissed before that becuase you slow rolled him? As soon as he called your all-in you should have turned your cards over for him to see. I know that'd piss me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then be prepared to spend a lot of your poker life PO'd. Many folks do not like to turn their hand over as soon as they are all-in. They want to quietly muck their loser if they don't hit. And far as I know, that's ok (in most rooms). I almost prefer it since there's always that 1:100 chance my opponent will muck a winner.

Besides...this wasn't a slow roll. The OP had a loser and was going to muck if he didn't improve. He showed his cards as soon as they became the best hand; he didn't hold 'em until the river and then wait 20 seconds to show 'em. No slow roll. No reason to be PO'd at the player for hitting one of his 8-outs. These are the chances we take when we call an all-in with top set on a flush-drawable or straight drawable board.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MTT...I go all in he calls...I throw them face down...dealer leaves them there and deals turn and river making a straight on board. Dealer chops the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

In a tournament, you are not allowed to muck after an all-in. It has to play out. Dealer was correct.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First turns A9 second turns AJ.

K7 mucks again

[/ QUOTE ]

"turns"..."shows" ?????

Did he table his hand? Put it face up on the felt?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 PM

Just out of curiosity...

Suppose the situation was the same as the OP described, but instead of angrily throwing his cards, villain turns his cards face down and mixes them into the muck such that it's impossible to retrieve or identify them (suppose the dealer even drops the stub onto the muck after dealing the river). What now? Villain has still tabled his hand and everone saw them, but now the dealer has to rely on his memory of what they were, and would be pushing the pot to a guy with no cards. Is that what should happen?

Suppose also that instead of throwing his cards, villain picked them up and ate them. Then what?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 PM

If it is ambiguous what the player had, then he forfeits the pot for failing to protect his hand. Common sense dictates the right thing to do in such a bizarre situation.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop I am all-in with an open ended str8 draw vs. a villian.

The villian calls my all-in and flips up his cards revealing a set.

I do not show my cards UNTIL the TURN when my str8 hits.

When I flip up my cards the villian (who is pissed as hell) throws both his cards at the dealer. One lands face up infront of Villain the other lands on the railing also face up. Both cards hit the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like this villian just doesn't understand that a suck out can be followed by a re-suck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity...

Suppose the situation was the same as the OP described, but instead of angrily throwing his cards, villain turns his cards face down and mixes them into the muck such that it's impossible to retrieve or identify them (suppose the dealer even drops the stub onto the muck after dealing the river). What now? Villain has still tabled his hand and everone saw them, but now the dealer has to rely on his memory of what they were, and would be pushing the pot to a guy with no cards. Is that what should happen?

Suppose also that instead of throwing his cards, villain picked them up and ate them. Then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing that would change the outcome of "cards speak" is if the player himself speaks and says "I fold".
Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And far as I know, that's ok (in most rooms). I almost prefer it since there's always that 1:100 chance my opponent will muck a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've won at least 3 pots (all large) to morons that mucked the winning hand. Not sure if that's 1:100, but it's enough that I don't care if they slow roll.

AB