Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Dealer\'s Choice

Guts is probably my favorite home games.
The version I play we call it pass one drop one in which your dealt 4 cards then pass one to you left. Then you play your best three cards. We do straights and flushes with a 4 card ghost dealer. We've seen $300 pots with 6 players using $1 chips.

How about black mariah.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 PM

Black Mariah was fun too. Nothing like building a nice fat pot and in the last couple cards the Black Mariah pops up! REDEAL! That's awesome and awful at the same time.

$300 guts? Yeah. Any Match Pot games can get out of hand real quick. Like In Between (Acey Deucey). That game can be absolutely evil as well. I've played with three other people where 3 out of the 4 of us went broke and had to sit and watch as the remaining player took our money. That sucked. Lol. You never like telling people you went broke playing Acey Deucey.

G O N E F O R E V E R
Old 12-14-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like In Between (Acey Deucey). That game can be absolutely evil as well. I've played with three other people where 3 out of the 4 of us went broke and had to sit and watch as the remaining player took our money. That sucked. Lol. You never like telling people you went broke playing Acey Deucey.

G O N E F O R E V E R

[/ QUOTE ]
We nicknamed that game "The Devil's Game" long ago. We do a little devil dance just after it's called. Index fingers alternating moving up and down below the waist, then put index finger up in devil horn position and flex digits about six times. Repeat at least once more, then begin betting your money away.

Beginners always over value their hands. It's ridiculous. We play where you have to pay a .25 penalty if you can't even play (you have pair, or connectors), and if you play and match a side card, you pay double what you wagered.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:19 AM

one game i always loved to play, though it is not explicitly poker, is "red 4/14"

to start, everyone antes and is dealt 2 cards, one face down and one face up. the goal of the game is to get your cards to add up as close to 4 or 14 as possible, with the high and low hands splitting the pot. aces are worth 1 and/or 11, face cards are worth 1/2 point, and everything else is worth it's face value. but in this variation, ONLY RED CARDS COUNT. this is an important point as it helps build huge pots when a run of useless black cards hit.

so the ideal starting hand in this game is a red ace and a red 3 - you are already a lock to at least split the high and low.
to start, everyone gets their 2 cards and there is a round of betting. after the round of betting, anyone still in gets to choose if they want another card face-down or not, and there is another round of betting. it continues like this until everyone has either folded or is ready to stand pat with their hand. at this point, everyone shows their cards and the closest hands to 4 and 14 split the pot. we also sometimes play a variation where you have to declare whether you're going for high, low, or both, with the last better/raiser declaring first.

this is actually a variation of the game 7/27, which is played exactly the same way except all cards count and the low and high are 7 and 27 instead of 4 and 14. obviously you can make up any variant you want.

there is another great game, more poker-related, that we used to play called "challenge" and it's actually a mini-tournament that doesn't take too long to complete. if i have time and can actually remember all the rules, i'll describe it later.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 AM

as for guts, for us it was always 2-card guts w/ flushes and straights. i think it's more exciting than the 3-card version or 2-card with pairs only.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 AM

Yeah between the sheets is brutul. Using $1 chips my dad about a month ago lost about $700 in one game of it. k2 ak and q4 at that point he was on tilt from it. The sickest guts hand i've ever seen was one guy stayed in with trip 5's. so he had to beat the ghost dealer. First 2 cards were 77. He said he got passed one of the sevens so he started to scoop and sure enough third card was a seven.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:45 AM

Some other games we play are box(similar to criss cross) pryamid, neighbors, and pass the [censored].
Old 12-15-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like In Between (Acey Deucey). That game can be absolutely evil as well. I've played with three other people where 3 out of the 4 of us went broke and had to sit and watch as the remaining player took our money. That sucked. Lol. You never like telling people you went broke playing Acey Deucey.

G O N E F O R E V E R

[/ QUOTE ]
We nicknamed that game "The Devil's Game" long ago. We do a little devil dance just after it's called. Index fingers alternating moving up and down below the waist, then put index finger up in devil horn position and flex digits about six times. Repeat at least once more, then begin betting your money away.

Beginners always over value their hands. It's ridiculous. We play where you have to pay a .25 penalty if you can't even play (you have pair, or connectors), and if you play and match a side card, you pay double what you wagered.

[/ QUOTE ]

$.25 penalty??? That's brutal. The pots get big fast enough with out it.

Paying double, yeah. That's the real killer right there. Getting a low Ace and a high Ace and then turning over a 3rd Ace! Feels like somebody punched you in the stomach. lol.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:10 PM

wait...why r u redealing in Black Mariah? i thought Black Mariah was the same game as Chicago (stud game where hi hand splits with hi spade in the hole)? if im wrong, plz give me a quick run down of the game, and where the redeal comes into play. thnx
Old 12-18-2006, 05:44 AM

Mariah is where if you have the q of spades in the hole you split the pot. If it comes up on board game restarts. Now for my game we have also thrown in that card after the queen is wild.