Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Deep live cash games

[ QUOTE ]
you are 500 bb deep

[/ QUOTE ]
you say this as though all 500 bb's will or must come into play. i've been doing nothing for the past 2 months but playing live 10-20 with anywhere from 5k to 15k stacks, so trust me when i say that EXCEEDINGLY RARELY will two 500bb stacks tangle for all their chips. and if they do it's probably not a one-pair hand dragging the pot.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ some of the posts in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

... and then you proceed to come out with the worst one yet. Well done.

Kirk
Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are 500 bb deep

[/ QUOTE ]
you say this as though all 500 bb's will or must come into play. i've been doing nothing for the past 2 months but playing live 10-20 with anywhere from 5k to 15k stacks, so trust me when i say that EXCEEDINGLY RARELY will two 500bb stacks tangle for all their chips. and if they do it's probably not a one-pair hand dragging the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - this is the problem, isn't it? Kirk R knows this, and so presumably does the LAG. As a result, if LAG picks up extra outs against what he assumes is a one pair hand (because Kirk isn't 3 betting enough), he can put pressure on Kirk to throw away one pair on a later street. Being 500 BBs deep doesn't really change anything - beyond 250 it wouldn't seem to make a difference, because it will be very hard for the opponent to get a lot of money in there without you helping him along.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you would buy in this deep if you didn't know what to do in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will usually buy in for between 2-300BB's in any no cap live cash game, but it's totally not unusual to see 15k stacks in a 10/20nl game in several spots around the table. As far as my not knowing what to do... it's more a matter of my having a pretty good idea what to do, and hoping to get some better ideas from some of the other posters on the forum. The standard is obviously to re-raise, which I will do indeed very regularly and with a very wide range, but do you really want to build a massive pot against a good, tricky, aggressive player out of position who will call pre-flop with any two and can easily force you to play for stacks with one pair?

Lately, I've been thinking that I don't just call enough but always instantly inflate the pot and then proceed to make my life miserable. How about 20% call/79% re-raise (1% fold pre-flop and show to really mix it up!)? Would smooth-calling pre-flop with a wider range be a corollary to expanding your 3-betting range? I think both can be effective if properly utilized. Something to think about, anyway.

Kirk
Old 12-08-2006, 02:28 PM

I'm never not reraising with AA,KK. Live poker is too boring.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:43 PM

you are 500 bb deep oop very a good opp. whats your advice to reraise with?

[/ QUOTE ]

any cards that are either suited, paired, or have a combined numerical value greater than 12 (with a minimum value of 5 for the bottom card of course).
Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you would buy in this deep if you didn't know what to do in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will usually buy in for between 2-300BB's in any no cap live cash game, but it's totally not unusual to see 15k stacks in a 10/20nl game in several spots around the table. As far as my not knowing what to do... it's more a matter of my having a pretty good idea what to do, and hoping to get some better ideas from some of the other posters on the forum. The standard is obviously to re-raise, which I will do indeed very regularly and with a very wide range, but do you really want to build a massive pot against a good, tricky, aggressive player out of position who will call pre-flop with any two and can easily force you to play for stacks with one pair?

Lately, I've been thinking that I don't just call enough but always instantly inflate the pot and then proceed to make my life miserable. How about 20% call/79% re-raise (1% fold pre-flop and show to really mix it up!)? Would smooth-calling pre-flop with a wider range be a corollary to expanding your 3-betting range? I think both can be effective if properly utilized. Something to think about, anyway.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

It is something to think about - I'm not experienced with playing deep stacks live, and I hope some of the better posters chime in here to tell me I'm an idiot.

However, I feel like smooth-calling PF is going to leave you in a much more difficult spot because you've now under-represented your hand, and any moves you make post-flop will look like either a bluff or a set. Are you really check raising with one pair post flop? Of course not - so are you c/c'ing - lead? leading on the flop? You will get yourself put in the mystery zone quite often on the later streets, where you've no idea whether to fold or call. Not saying this won't happen if you 3 bet, but I feel like it will happen more often when you call.

Against a late position raise in a deep game and no callers in-between, I think a call is bad with any cards and that you should be raising with anything you're playing with in order to take the betting lead as well as mix it up for when you do get a real hand.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are 500 bb deep oop very a good opp. whats your advice to reraise with?

[/ QUOTE ]

any cards that are either suited, paired, or have a combined numerical value greater than 12 (with a minimum value of 5 for the bottom card of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Really hope we get a chance to play vs each other live at some point! I've played with you on FT, but it's totally not the same.

Kirk
Old 12-08-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol @ some of the posts in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

... and then you proceed to come out with the worst one yet. Well done.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't think of a situation where I am not raising this.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:45 PM

5k straight.