Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: WOW just saw the anti net-neutrality \"mumbo jumbo\" ad

[ QUOTE ]
Im sure it has something to do with tubes and not dump trucks though

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, if anyone could link me to that speech where that politician makes that speech I'll be in debt to you. It's priceless!

Anyways, on the linked website I found this-
[ QUOTE ]
Proponents of net neutrality would have the government regulate the prices, terms and conditions of broadband services. Indeed, many net neutrality proposals seek to specify which business models are permissible, and which ones are not. They would impose by government fiat outcomes that benefit established Internet companies like Google, Amazon, and Yahoo! to the detriment of network operators (including cable) and new Internet service providers.

The cable industry supports Congress’s longstanding policy of leaving the Internet unregulated. This “hands-off” regulatory approach to broadband – in place since passage of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 – has been a success and has encouraged private investment in new services and infrastructure (more than $100 billion by the cable industry alone since 1996). By contrast, network neutrality laws would stifle investment and lead to a proliferation of lawsuits.

Those who call for regulation of the Internet in the name of “network neutrality” are offering a solution in search of a problem since there is no evidence of a market failure justifying the imposition of common carrier-like regulation on broadband services. “One size fits all” net neutrality regulation would replace the workings of the marketplace with government regulation, and choose today what business models are, and are not, permissible. By contrast, in the current market-driven environment, companies have the freedom to experiment with multiple business models, producing more choices and competition in content and providers for consumers, and more innovation than ever before.

The current marketplace is working well to bring consumers the services and features they want at prices they can afford. Lawmakers should be very reluctant to replace that flexible, market-driven success story with a system of intrusive regulation. At a time when there is widespread agreement that our national policies should maximize broadband for all, Congress should not enact a policy of net neutrality that would stifle innovation in broadband networks and act as a tax on broadband, slowing its growth and reach to all Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]
Regulation raises prices and/or hurts quality, in theory and practice. Say no to it.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The anti-Net Neutrality camp wants copmanies to have the ability to legally extort content providers (more, through a different orafice).

Bandwidth companies sell bandwidth. They should not be able to discriminate with respect to content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell not?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 PM

And lets not forget that the telcos and cable companies are full of [censored]. The renegged on promises of higher speed internet access. The USA is lagging in high speed internet access.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And lets not forget that the telcos and cable companies are full of [censored]. The renegged on promises of higher speed internet access. The USA is lagging in high speed internet access.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and regulation will make that better?

"LOL"
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, if anyone could link me to that speech where that politician makes that speech I'll be in debt to you. It's priceless!

[/ QUOTE ]
Daily Show Linky

The politician is Republican Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska. He chairs the Senate Science committee. Thank god we got him out of there, right?

The Wiki article about this line is the 4th google hit for "Ted Stevens".
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM

I just disagree. Perhaps there is a little pinko commie inside of me or something.

I view internet access much like a utility. Like electricity, you need x amps, get get x amps. It doesn't care what you use it for.

I dont like the fact that internet content could be affected by somebody's or some company's agenda.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Daily Show Linky

The politician is Republican Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska. He chairs the Senate Science committee. Thank god we got him out of there, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, not really. Stevens knew nothing about the internet, and what's more, he knew that he knew nothing about the internet - so he wasn't pressing for regulation. On the flipside, whatever democrat comes along is (probably) going to think he knows the solution to internet-related problems, and a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just disagree. Perhaps there is a little pinko commie inside of me or something.

I view internet access much like a utility. Like electricity, you need x amps, get get x amps. It doesn't care what you use it for.

I dont like the fact that internet content could be affected by somebody's or some company's agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are really worried about content being influenced by interest groups then the last thing you want to do is give government the reins to the internet. The FCC says hi.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The anti-Net Neutrality camp wants copmanies to have the ability to legally extort content providers (more, through a different orafice).

Bandwidth companies sell bandwidth. They should not be able to discriminate with respect to content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell not?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 reasons
1) We the people who give them the right to incorporate, put up and use telephone polls everywhere, allow them to have monopolies here and there and give them tax breaks/incentives do not want them to.
2) It would make everything less efficient, more expensive, and way more annoying.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Daily Show Linky

The Wiki article about this line is the 4th google hit for "Ted Stevens".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very funny, very sad, and very frightening at the same time.