Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Rutgers football coach Schiano turned down Thug-U

I think that contract he signed last December is going to get re-worked this December.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:57 PM

I think, ceterus paribus, I'd rather have the Rutgers job right now than Miami. I hope he used his leverage to get a bigger contract like Petrino always does and perhaps to get the school to shell out money for facility improvements.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shell out money for facility improvements.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously haven't seen their weight room which is state of the art and they have a practice "bubble." Only thing that Schiano really wants is a stadium that seats more and another year of success he has had he will get that largely due to demand for seats. He has gotten alot of what he has asked for. Rutgers facilities are fantastic.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:31 PM

He really wants to be the next Penn State coach. But of course the job isn't open right now...
Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only thing that Schiano really wants is a stadium that seats more and another year of success he has had he will get that largely due to demand for seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stadium is only 13 years old and seats 42,000. Not sure that NJ will put up the money for a 60-70,000 seat stadium, given the program's record prior to 2005.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:12 PM

This is really incredible when you think about it.

When I was at Duke, Rutgers was always one of our OOC patsies... can you imagine? DUKE beat up on Rutgers every year!

Now they are in the championship discussion and their coach turns down the job at "The U," formerly the top program in college football.

Wow.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only thing that Schiano really wants is a stadium that seats more and another year of success he has had he will get that largely due to demand for seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stadium is only 13 years old and seats 42,000. Not sure that NJ will put up the money for a 60-70,000 seat stadium, given the program's record prior to 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

it does look like they can expand seating in one of the end zones fairly quickly to get over 50K if it becomes necessary.

Who knows, if they keep up the winning, perhaps their fat cat alums will donate what is needed.

Illinois isn't even winning, yet they are in the middle of a $150million renovation totally funded by the division of intercollegiate athletics and alumni donors.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that contract he signed last December is going to get re-worked this December.

[/ QUOTE ]

thing i've seen across internet boards is $21M over the next 10 years....not too bad for Schiano
Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised. Schiano had lunch w/ the Governor today who was trying to convince him to stay. Everyone in NJ has fully jumped on the bandwagon. When I was in HS, it was considered a joke to go to Rutgers. Now, my nephews can't wait to apply there. I imagine it's like that for all HS kids in NJ now.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was there, RU played their home games in Giants Stadium while the Stadium was being renovated. I can't see them putting in the $$$ for a new stadium already. What are they going to do...add another tier?